nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8903
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 Rangefinder Display on Screen" Previous topic | Next topic
Stevekir Registered since 15th Sep 2013Tue 22-Oct-13 12:03 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 Rangefinder Display on Screen"

UK

On page 24 of his book "Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide", J. Dennis Thomas includes an image of the non-Live View Screen (the default one with the aperture/shutter display on the left). In the centre of this screen, just under the numerical readout of the shutter speed and the f-number, is a horizontal scale from + to- showing either the exposure metre or the Electronic rangefinder (depending on the mode of operation.

My camera is set to Aperture Priority in the big knob on the top of the camera. The Rangefinder is set to on In the Setup Menu, and the (kit) lens switch is set to Manual for focus (and, as expected, the two non-Live View screens show MF, greyed out). If I look through the viewfinder I can see at the bottom the rangefinder scale which consists of a series of vertical bars from left to right. These change to only two bars when the object is in focus, and I have tested it and the object is in sharp focus.

However, the Rangefinder scale never appears on the screen (and neither does the Exposure Meter when in the appropriate camera mode) as described in the book. (Actually it is odd that the book shows the rangefinder on the non-Live View screen when you can't see the object!

Is it possible to get the Rangefinder on the *Live View* screen, and if so, how?

The reason why I would like this is because I use the camera for product photography, on a tripod set at table-top height and it is very awkward to squint through the viewfinder without sitting on the floor! (Although there is an attachment which allows seeing the viewfinder by looking down, at £43 and up.)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 22-Oct-13 02:17 PM
3418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 Rangefinder Display on Screen"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

You shouldn't need a rangefinder in LiveView. Use the + button to enlarge the image. The image will pop in and out of focus and it's quite easy to get perfect focus.

However in LiveView I don't know why you want to use manual focus, especially with the kit lens that has an extremely short focus throw. I only manual focus in LiveView when I'm using a manual focus lens.

If you do a lot of desk top photography where looking down is the most comfortable position, you really want one of the D5000 series bodies with the articulating screen. It makes LiveView so much easier under those conditions.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 24-Oct-13 05:37 AM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D3100 Rangefinder Display on Screen"
In response to Reply # 1

Martinsville, US

I don't use the Live view except when taking a movie with my D3200.
I'm not that steady holding camera (handheld) I've the range finder display in the D3000 it was really dark you could see obvious changes. Both my D3200 The range finder is so thin and faint it's worse than useless. I can understand some reasoning. The D3000 used a 9 point range finder. The D3200 use a 16 point or 20 point system. But I don't mind the darker range finder.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8903 Previous topic | Next topic