Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8897
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flowers" Previous topic | Next topic
buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Mon 21-Oct-13 12:50 AM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flowers"
Mon 21-Oct-13 12:52 AM by buffumjr

US

So far, my best photos are flowers and bark. Trying HARD to add architecture to that. I've read Adams' "Camera and Lens" and Pederson's "Understanding Exposure". There is a composition book on its way in the library system.

Did a flower shoot, today. Great stuff!

REALLY want to graduate to portatraiture. The Rembrandt look! Chiarrusco! The butterfly!

I like beer. There's an awesome beer store in my town, "Kenny's Grocery." Almost no groceries. Floor to ceiling micro brewery beers. Photos of HARD women athletes. Opposite to that is the Aug 2013 issue of NPhoto, and Dougie Wallace's "Hen Parties". Somewhere in the middle is where I'd like to be.

Gee. Where to start.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flowers
pjonesCET Gold Member
23rd Oct 2013
buffumjr
23rd Oct 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
24th Oct 2013
buffumjr
25th Oct 2013
MEMcD Moderator
27th Oct 2013

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 23-Oct-13 01:40 AM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Flowers"
In response to Reply # 0

Martinsville, US

where are your samples.

This is sample of what I am able to do with my D3200

My Mother

Mums

Mushrooms on a Tree stump.

By the way anyone know what these are and are they poisonous. one on on the ground is actually gooey.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 23-Oct-13 12:34 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flowers"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Many moons ago, they told us, in Boy Scouts, to consider ALL mushrooms poisonous. The poisonous ones are so poisonous that you can't get to help fast enough to save yourself. Leave it to the experts to tell you which are safe. There are some that look very similar to safe ones that will kill you graveyard dead.

I have no problem with image quality. My issue is composition. I see some of these pictures in NPhoto, Shutterbug, Digital Photo, etc, and it makes my heart skip a beat. I feel er jealous, I guess.

But then, I don't havce the kilobucks it takes to just drive through the Arizona desert, or tour Yosemite, Yellowstone, the Catskills, the Gobi Desert, Tonga, the Matto Grosso, the Pampas, the Karoo, India. One photo of a Scottish waterfsall, late in the day. No people. But such drama. A photo of a wrecked wooden boat on the coast of a Norwegian island. Black and white. Could stare at it for hours.

Some of these advertising photos are stoppers, too. Reading Petersen, I see some of the tricks, now, but it still looks great.

Suggestions?

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 24-Oct-13 04:21 AM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Flowers"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 24-Oct-13 04:22 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

This was taken about 60 miles away from my home in Va cost nothing but the gas to get there.

So you don't boocos's of cash to find an interest subject.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Fri 25-Oct-13 10:42 PM
#4. "RE: Flowers"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Driving to a used camera store, today, I passed a large pond/small lake. Lots of material. Don't know if the wooded land on one side is a park, or jealously guarded private property. I guess, just go there and start shooting.

"Sometimes, it is easier to beg forgivenenss than to ask permission." George Patton.

I don't have image upload priveleges, so I'll upload to Photobucket and post links. Besides, then, you get larger pictures.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 27-Oct-13 06:00 AM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flowers"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi John,

There are interesting subjects all around us.
Most of us drive or even walk by them every day but since we are concentrating on getting to our destination (safely) we don't "see" them. If you get a chance, have someone else drive and look around while sitting in the passenger seat. You will be surprised at what you see but never noticed before.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8897 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.