Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8883
View in linear mode

Subject: "How Good Are "Screw-on" Lenses?" Previous topic | Next topic
buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sat 19-Oct-13 09:54 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How Good Are "Screw-on" Lenses?"

US

Macro from various mfrs I never heard of that screw on like filters, for use close up. E.G. PLR Optics 52MM +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch. Wide Angle screw on lens same size? 58mmn screw on "telephoto" to add to your 55-300mm "kit" lens.

Reviews on Amazon are very mixed. Anyone with experience on these?

Keep in mind, I don't have the pockets to go buy a bag full of prime glass. BUT, if these are truly AWFUL, I'll skip 'em.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How Good Are "Screw-on" Lenses?
Leonard62 Gold Member
19th Oct 2013
mklass Platinum Member
19th Oct 2013
buffumjr
20th Oct 2013
BGD600
20th Oct 2013
buffumjr
20th Oct 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 19-Oct-13 10:45 PM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How Good Are "Screw-on" Lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I would skip both the filters and the add on lens converters. They are not very good. They primarily were designed for point and shoot cameras without removable lenses. From what I can see only beginners buy these lenses.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 19-Oct-13 11:31 PM
5905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How Good Are "Screw-on" Lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 20-Oct-13 12:52 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

There are a couple good screw on Macro filters, but they are more expensive. They generally have two achromatic elements.

Ironically, some of the best to use on Nikon lenses are made by Canon, such as this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/87503-REG/Canon_2824A001_77mm_500D_Close_up_Lens.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

I believe that Marumi also makes a good version.

The inexpensive, single element macro filters are not all that good.

Other screw-on type lenses, for wide angle, telephoto and fisheye are not very good, either. But, if cheap is what you want, they will work, just don't expect to be impressed by the image quality. Just figure it will look like you are looking through a magnifying glass.
On the other hand, lomography and other effects are sometimes considered artistic, so maybe they will give you want you want.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sun 20-Oct-13 12:07 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How Good Are "Screw-on" Lenses?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hence the expression, "You get what you pay for."

Thanx. Saved some disappointment.

BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012Sun 20-Oct-13 12:28 PM
312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How Good Are "Screw-on" Lenses?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

The Marumi fisheye screw on is quite good fun for the money

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sun 20-Oct-13 12:46 PM
#5. "RE: How Good Are "Screw-on" Lenses?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Might risk the $20 for the close up magnifying lenses. Will be photographing small, machined parts, like model airplane engine parts, small gears and cams for small tools, miniature steam engine parts, etc. No one's ego to get trod upon if the angle isn't just so, or the lighting may be too cool or too warm.

I'll pass on the fisheye and the telephoto. If I need more than 300mm, I'll rent it. Could certainly never buy it at $2,000-$3,000.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8883 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.