Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8860
View in linear mode

Subject: "The D5300 just introduced!" Previous topic | Next topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 17-Oct-13 04:52 AM
26416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The D5300 just introduced!"

US

The new Nikon D5300 introduced today.

Best Regards,
Marty

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The D5300 just introduced!
grnzbra Silver Member
17th Oct 2013
jbloom Gold Member
17th Oct 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
18th Oct 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
27th Nov 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
18th Oct 2013
beemerman2k
18th Oct 2013
stevelink3
19th Oct 2013
MEMcD Moderator
19th Oct 2013
roffelmau Silver Member
19th Oct 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
26th Nov 2013
MEMcD Moderator
18th Oct 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
19th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
19th Oct 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
19th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
19th Oct 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
20th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
20th Oct 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
10th Nov 2013
bdecker432 Silver Member
26th Nov 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Nov 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Jan 2014
stevelink3
01st Jan 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Jan 2014
stevelink3
01st Jan 2014

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 17-Oct-13 03:32 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

> ...with heightened clarity and detail due to the removal of
> the optical low pass filter (OLPF).

What is the optical low pass filter? What does it do? Would it be on a 5100? If it is, can it be removed? Would one want to?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 17-Oct-13 04:49 PM
6802 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

The short answer is that it's a device put in front of the sensor to very slightly blur the image in order to eliminate an effect known as moire, in which images with close-together series of lines cause a strange pattern in the image. (Google it if you want a better explanation.)

On high-resolution cameras, this is less of an issue, so some 24-megapixel and higher recent models have no filter and have changed the processing firmware (I believe) to account for that.

So, no, it's not something that can be readily done to a D5100 and it probably would be a bad idea even if you could do it.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 18-Oct-13 01:21 PM
3199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 1

Hatboro, Pa, US

>What is the optical low pass filter? What does it do? Would it
>be on a 5100? If it is, can it be removed? Would one want to?
>

Prior to Nikon's release of the D800E, the D7100 and now the D5300, all of Nikon's dslr camera sensors had a low pass filter and an infra red reducing filter attached. Without the IR filter photos would have a magenta cast to some dark areas, especially some synthetic fabrics. The low pass filter, as Jon already mentioned, slightly blurs the image to remove any moire effects that might occur when photographing some finely detailed fabrics or things like screens on doors or windows. The low pass filter is a fine, thin sheet applied to the surface of the sensor. It's built in and not like a filter you can unscrew from one of your lenses.

While the IR filter must stay, the low pass filter can be omitted during the manufacturing process to improve resolution.

In the case of the D800E the filter was not removed but other methods were used to negate the effects of the low pass filter and improve resolution. It appears that so far moire has not been a problem so Nikon and other manufacturers like Sony are removing the filter.

Len

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 27-Nov-13 08:24 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#20. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 27-Nov-13 08:29 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

For those that are interested on Moire looks like here is a sample of a very, very mild form of Moire Notice what the brick look like on this church. This was taken with an HP Point and shoot camera

Notice the banding on the bricks of the church.

I have a couple more shot taken at a later date with my D3200. That don't exhibit this banding.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 18-Oct-13 02:04 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 18-Oct-13 02:04 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

According to the information at Adorama there are three models.
One comes with no lens (body only) and bult-in WiFi $765.00, just Body Black and Red versions, and one non-wifi paired with a new lens 1395. And they also just announced and brand spanking new Lens that cost $1696+, it was 58mm

Here is Link: http://www.adorama.com/results/nikon-d5300?kbid=64628&j=Email101713NikonPanNPA&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email101713NikonPanNPA&utm_source=RSYS

If I didn't already have two D3200's I'd consider it.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

beemerman2k Registered since 27th Mar 2006Fri 18-Oct-13 02:24 PM
345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 4

Ellington, US

I am a bit confused as to why Nikon bothered to release this camera. What was so wrong with the D5200 that they felt the need to release a D5300? Built in WIFI and GPS? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to simply say to D5200 owners, "for a limited time, you can get a free WIFI and GPS unit for your camera", and be done with it? No OLPF? Does that justify the considerable expense of introducing a new model and depreciating an already remarkable 24mp DSLR?

So I am wondering if the D5200 had some fundamental flaw (oil on the sensor, etc) that justified a new, replacement model being introduced.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Sat 19-Oct-13 04:34 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>I am a bit confused as to why Nikon bothered to release this
>camera. What was so wrong with the D5200 that they felt the
>need to release a D5300? Built in WIFI and GPS? Wouldn't it
>have been cheaper to simply say to D5200 owners, "for a
>limited time, you can get a free WIFI and GPS unit for your
>camera", and be done with it? No OLPF? Does that
>justify the considerable expense of introducing a new model
>and depreciating an already remarkable 24mp DSLR?
>
>So I am wondering if the D5200 had some fundamental flaw (oil
>on the sensor, etc) that justified a new, replacement model
>being introduced.

Hi Beemerman2.
As a D5200 user, I can say that at least my copy has no issues whatsoever with oil, dust, etc., and it does an exemplary job creating highly detailed images with lenses like the Nikkors 16-85 and 35 f/1.8. As far as removing the OLPF, from what I've read of the D7100 (which I was considering as well), you need good optics and good photographic technique to really notice a difference in detail/image sharpness. If I were to upgrade, I would be more interested in the new D610 (full frame) than the D5300, because I believe the image quality differences would be more substantial between the D5200 and the D610, than between the D5200 and the D5300. In any case, Nikon makes very fine cameras (and lenses!), and quite a good Creative Lighting System as well!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 19-Oct-13 07:03 PM
26416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi James,

>being introduced.

No!
I think Nikon is working to stay ahead of the competition in order to gain market share.

Best Regards,
Marty

roffelmau Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2013Sat 19-Oct-13 09:52 PM
248 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 8

DEPEW, US

When I was researching cameras to get back into the hobby, one of my top three was the Canon 70D. It has GPS, WiFi, articulating screen, and some whiz bang AF system. If anything! This is probably what this is meant to answer to.

In the end, the D7100 won out due to no swivel screen, partial magnesium construction, weather sealed body, etc.

If I was an average consumer looking for the most tech packed into a camera I could get I would have gone Canon. The features of the 5300 seem likely to be aimed at that segment. The modern middleish class tech buff who doesn't necessarily know what they need, or care, but know what they want.

--Andy

--Andy

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 26-Nov-13 03:02 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

>I am a bit confused as to why Nikon bothered to release this
>camera. What was so wrong with the D5200 that they felt the
>need to release a D5300? Built in WIFI and GPS? Wouldn't it
>have been cheaper to simply say to D5200 owners, "for a
>limited time, you can get a free WIFI and GPS unit for your
>camera", and be done with it? No OLPF? Does that
>justify the considerable expense of introducing a new model
>and depreciating an already remarkable 24mp DSLR?
>
>being introduced.<Quote<<<

Yup your "old" D5200 is obsolete!
Just throw it away and get the latest/greatest
Or, maybe you could just lease the D5300 untill the D5400 comes out next year

Actually for me, it could be a big upgrade.
I will be testing a Nikon D5300 tomorrow.

H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding
HD 1,920x1,080 / 60 fps
HD 1,280x720 / 60 fps
20 minutes at highest quality
29 minutes 59 seconds at normal quality

3.2 in. diagonal
Monitor Resolution
1,037,000 Dots

Live View Lens servo
Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); full-time-servo AF (AF-F)
Manual focus (MF)
Live View AF-area mode
Face-priority AF
Wide-area AF
Normal-area AF
Subject-tracking AF
Live View Autofocus
Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame (camera selects focus point automatically when face-priority AF or subject-tracking AF is selected)

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 18-Oct-13 09:17 PM
#6. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Phillip,

It looks like the D5300 will be available Body Only in three colors: Black, Gray, and Red.
The Black body will also be available packaged with an 18-140mm lens as a kit.

Best Regards,
Marty

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 19-Oct-13 09:28 PM
#9. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 19-Oct-13 09:30 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

other than the 24 mp sensor. The Built in Wifi is the difference. I have both the GPS and WiFi addon for my d3200 The WifI works but I haven't managed to get the GPS to work. Where I have tried to use the GPS has been in Rural areas of Va I doubt seriously even have Satellite Coverage.

So it questionable if either would be an advantage. I can get my iPad or iPhone to control the camera. So that might be some advantage.

I am a little leery of that articulating screen. I am Retired Electronics Tech. And I know any cables that are constantly flexed tend to break. Isee this actually as a Weak link

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 19-Oct-13 09:44 PM
14692 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 9

Colorado Springs, US

>Where I have tried to use the GPS has been in Rural areas of
>Va I doubt seriously even have Satellite Coverage.
>

I'm pretty certain you have satellite coverage in rural Virginia. You may have been trying under dense tree cover, which can be challenging.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 19-Oct-13 10:22 PM
#12. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 10

Martinsville, US

No actually each time has been in open space . A Couple of times at home out away from Trees and once at a Church and cemetery In fact the area I shots of in one of the albums on my Gallery. I have set camera to use the GPS. But all I get is a constantly blinking red light. As you can see in the album in question it was in wide open space. However The Church is below the Blue ridge mountains.

In the cemetery

In front of the Church

(Family Tree stuff I am into Genealogy.)

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 19-Oct-13 10:26 PM
14692 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 12

Colorado Springs, US

It's not due to an absence of satellites in view.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 20-Oct-13 07:23 PM
#14. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 13
Sun 20-Oct-13 07:25 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

No saying for sure it is. The GPS unit Blinks Red But is supposed to lock in Green when a signal is acquired. Never get that green acquisition light.

I'll get it out and try again.

I am in a fairly Rural area, some times they have to pipe sunshine in.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 20-Oct-13 08:17 PM
#15. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 14

Colorado Springs, US

I'm saying there is no possible way for it to be an absence of satellite coverage. I would try giving it more time to acquire initially, double-checking camera settings and keep in mind that the GPS unit may be faulty.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 10-Nov-13 02:08 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 15
Sun 10-Nov-13 02:37 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Seems to me that the D5300 is a big improvement"
Better Sensor
Expeed 4 Processor
Bigger, brighter Swivel LCD
Smaller/Lighter
improved battery
WiFi & GPS built in
1080P Video at 60 fps
Full Time AutoFocus

I will be testing the Video "in store"
if as good as I expect, I will be bringing one home.

Does anyone know if video can be sent by WiFi in real time?

bdecker432 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2013Tue 26-Nov-13 11:37 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 16

Tulsa, US

Will the Expeed 4 Processor have any impact if you shot RAW only?

Thanks

==============================
Nikon D7100 & Nikon D3200
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC (OS)* HSM
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm F/1.8
Nikkor 55-200mm F/4.0-5.6 AF-S
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Shooting landscapes and young grandchildren

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 27-Nov-13 01:13 AM
#19. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 18
Wed 27-Nov-13 01:24 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>Will the Expeed 4 Processor have any impact if you shot RAW only?<

Yes,

Just processing the Sensor image to a digital file requires some computer power.
The Expeed 4 is also suposed to be a factor in ISO (especially High ISO),
focusing, White Ballance (metering), and probably even if you set everything manually.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 01-Jan-14 04:01 PM
#21. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 19

Monterey Bay, US

I've had my D5300 for a month now and am still finding more things I like!
The LCD is the best I've seen.
High 12800 ISO images, both stills and video are better than other DX cameras I've used at 3200 ISO.
This is probably due to the Expeed 4 Processor.
The cheap Menke (D5200) grip and Vivitar batteries
I bought work great and make handling better.

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Wed 01-Jan-14 04:56 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Happy New Year RRR!
I would be very interested to know if you see a significant difference in Sharpness between the D5200 and the D5300. (I shoot the D5200, and am a Sharpness nut. I have obtained some very high sharpness with the D5200, good Nikkors like the 35mm f/1.8, and good technique. If interested, please see my Gallery for sample images.)
BTW, I love your Monterey Bay Waterfall image!!
Thank you sir.
Regards,
Steve

>I've had my D5300 for a month now and am still finding more
>things I like!
>The LCD is the best I've seen.
>High 12800 ISO images, both stills and video are better than
>other DX cameras I've used at 3200 ISO.
>This is probably due to the Expeed 4 Processor.
>The cheap Menke (D5200) grip and Vivitar batteries
> I bought work great and make handling better.
>

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 01-Jan-14 05:24 PM
#23. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 22

Monterey Bay, US

>Happy New Year RRR!
>I would be very interested to know if you see a significant
>difference in Sharpness between the D5200 and the D5300.

Hard to see the difference at ISO 100-400
I am sure it is there, but insignificant to my eyes.
The big difference is at higher ISO, especially above 3200.

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Wed 01-Jan-14 05:37 PM
#24. "RE: The D5300 just introduced!"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Very interesting (and gratifying)! That's a bit of good news for me, as I usually shoot at the lowest ISO possible (100, 200), preferring to decrease shutter speed as needed, since I generally shoot landscapes/stills/product, so no need to stop action.
Thanks for this info!
Regards,
Steve

>>Happy New Year RRR!
>>I would be very interested to know if you see a
>significant
>>difference in Sharpness between the D5200 and the D5300.
>
>Hard to see the difference at ISO 100-400
>I am sure it is there, but insignificant to my eyes.
>The big difference is at higher ISO, especially above 3200.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8860 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.