Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #886
View in linear mode

Subject: "Has anyone used both the D70 and D3000?" Previous topic | Next topic
lovemy8514 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Thu 19-Nov-09 03:51 AM
2418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Has anyone used both the D70 and D3000?"

Columbia, US

My wife has been using my older D70s for a while, but it's getting just a bit long in the tooth for her.

I'm leaning towards getting her a new body so that she can use my lenses when she want's too, and the D3000 is on my short list. (Along with a refurb D40).

The D70s isn't too big for her, but she would like a body even a bit smaller than that. How does the D3000 feel in the hand? Does it feel smaller/lighter than the D70?

I probably won't be able to go to a store to handle one before I get it for her as a gift, so I'm asking here. (Outage schedules:Great overtime, no free time!)

Thanks for any help/opinions!

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 19-Nov-09 02:08 PM
51421 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Has anyone used both the D70 and D3000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 19-Nov-09 02:08 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

James,

never had a D3000 in my hands.

But here are the Specifications:

D70:
Demensions: Approximately 140 * 111 * 78 mm
Weight: Approximately 595g

D3000:
Demesions: Approximately 126 * 97 * 64 mm
Weight: Approximately 485g

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 19-Nov-09 05:57 PM
2735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Has anyone used both the D70 and D3000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>I'm leaning towards getting her a new body so that she can use
>my lenses when she want's too...

Several of the lenses you list in your profile don't have focusing motors, so they would not autofocus on a D3000. So, if you want her to be able to use ALL your lenses, the D3000 might not be the right choice.

I see the appeal of a new camera, but the D70s still ought to produce great results. I have a D50 (similar vintage) that I still use a lot, even though I also have a D300, and for most purposes, the resulting photos from the old camera are just as good as from the new one.

Randy

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 22-Nov-09 04:24 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Has anyone used both the D70 and D3000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bogor, ID

The D5000 is noticebaly smaller than a D80 - I compared the two this evening.

The D3000 is a tad smaller (ie less height as no tilting LCD) than the D5000.

I'd look long and hard at the D5000 - the video is very useful as is the tilting LCD. It is very well specc'd and has a state of the art sensor with far better low light performance than the D3000.

Life and light wait for no man!

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #886 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.