Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8841
View in linear mode

Subject: "Copying NEF to PC for Edit" Previous topic | Next topic
buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 15-Oct-13 07:42 PM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Copying NEF to PC for Edit"

US

I can copy .jpg easily from my camera to my PC, but I get "Access Denied" when I try to copy NEF to my PC.

My d5100 is new, so I still have the distribution CD. Which utility do I install to copy NEF to PC?

Before I go nuts installing teraquads of new software, does Elements do this? I know I can use the camera as a disk drive and bring one or more pictures into Elements, jpg or NEF. Is there a utility in Elements that lets me copy from the camera to a subdirectory on my hard drive, en masse?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Copying NEF to PC for Edit
JosephK Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
15th Oct 2013
Beatkat
16th Oct 2013
MEMcD Moderator
16th Oct 2013
buffumjr
16th Oct 2013
MEMcD Moderator
17th Oct 2013
buffumjr
18th Oct 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 15-Oct-13 10:07 PM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Copying NEF to PC for Edit"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 15-Oct-13 10:50 PM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

The first question would be, what utility are you using to copy the files that is giving you the "access denied" error?

In general, the easiest and most efficient method of getting the pictures off the card is to use a card reader and manually copy them using Windows File Explorer or the equivalent on your computer's OS.

I happen to use "Downloader Pro" by BreezeSys.com to go the copying as it lets me rename the files, among other things, during the copy.

See below for Rick's explanation of what/how Elements does for file copying.

If you are hooking the camera directly to the computer and attempting to use Elements directly on the files without copying them to the hard drive, then I would expect an "access denied" message since the camera probably is not going to allow write access to its files.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 15-Oct-13 10:45 PM
14430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Copying NEF to PC for Edit"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Elements includes a downloading tool. Exactly how it's accessed depends on the version, but in Elements 11, it's found by going into the Organizer, selecting File>Get Photos and Videos>From Card or Reader. You then have all sorts of choices regarding where they go, renaming, etc. You can also install the Nikon View NX2 program found on the CD that came with your camera and use it. It includes similar options, as do many other programs.

Although doing this will work with a camera, getting a card reader is a smart, inexpensive way to go. It'll save battery power and is much more convenient.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Beatkat Registered since 27th Dec 2007Wed 16-Oct-13 02:08 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Copying NEF to PC for Edit"
In response to Reply # 2

Oxford, US

I agree with Rick, get an inexpensive USB SD card reader. Then you can just drag and drop the images or folder of images where ever you want. I carry one in my bag too, so I can put images onto any computer via USB easily and quickly.Most laptops now have built in SD card readers too, my HP does.
Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DXVR
18-105VR
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 16-Oct-13 06:53 PM
25649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Copying NEF to PC for Edit"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

With a Card Reader, you can even use Windows Explorer to copy the NEF files together with the Jpeg files from the memory card to your computer very easily.

Best Regards,
Marty

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 16-Oct-13 11:38 PM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Copying NEF to PC for Edit"
In response to Reply # 4

US

To re-state.

In Explorer, when I opened the camera, which was USB cabled to the PC, Explorer would let me copy jpg just fine. Explorer would NOT let me copy NEF. Explorer would complain, Access Denied.

Since I got the SD card reader in the Cameta Camera bundle for my d5100, I'll use it. I just prefer not to dismount the SD card unless I really have to.

So Elements Organizer will do all that, no problem! Good. Don't have to spend any more $$$. Not spending more $$$ is a good thing.

Haven't explored all of elements, yet. Big package. Lots of features.

Thanx for the info.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 17-Oct-13 05:36 AM
25649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Copying NEF to PC for Edit"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi John,

Memory cards are designed to be removed and reinstalled regularly throughout their service life. Using a Card Reader to download your image files actually causes less wear and tear on your equipment than connecting the camera to your computer using the USB cable.
The download speed using a Card Reader is usually significantly faster than connecting the camera to the computer via the USB cable.

Best Regards,
Marty

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Fri 18-Oct-13 01:06 AM
#7. "RE: Copying NEF to PC for Edit"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 18-Oct-13 01:07 AM by buffumjr

US

Going on a walking architecture shoot in my town, this weekend. I'll use the reader after. Lots of 19 teens and 19 twenties homes. Some quasi-Victorian. Some meticulously kept, others sad. It's the sad ones that have the drama. Probably will shoot at least 100 shots. I plan to do at least 2 pseudo-HDR, to knit together in Elements.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8841 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.