Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8826
View in linear mode

Subject: "shutter count on D 5100" Previous topic | Next topic
hawkeye1960 Registered since 11th Oct 2013Sun 13-Oct-13 10:28 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"shutter count on D 5100"

Carlow, IE

Hi there, can anyone tell me how to find the total number of actuations of the shutter? .I don't seem to be able to locate it in the manual.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: shutter count on D 5100
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
13th Oct 2013
hawkeye1960
14th Oct 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
14th Oct 2013
buffumjr
15th Oct 2013
factotum
15th Oct 2013
buffumjr
15th Oct 2013
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Oct 2013
buffumjr
15th Oct 2013
buffumjr
15th Oct 2013
15th Oct 2013
hawkeye1960
15th Oct 2013
buffumjr
16th Oct 2013
hawkeye1960
17th Oct 2013
buffumjr
19th Oct 2013
DC2105
21st Oct 2013
buffumjr
27th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Shutter count on D5100
Fortkentdad
11th Jan 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
11th Jan 2014
Fortkentdad
11th Jan 2014
Rayrosher Gold Member
03rd Feb 2014
sl01
03rd Feb 2014
md2014
20th Mar 2014
Rayrosher Gold Member
03rd Feb 2014

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 13-Oct-13 10:56 PM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 13-Oct-13 10:57 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

It's not in the manual because Nikon doesn't report the information directly in any of its image file formats. It's embedded in the EXIF data of a Nikon JPG file though.

I use a little, free Windows utility called Opanda IEXIF 2. Download it, install it, run it, then use it to open a recent JPG. All the low level EXIF data will be displayed. Scroll down to almost the bottom of the list and look for "Total Shutter Releases" to find the number of actuations.

ACDSee Pro does not report shutter actuations. Neither does Adobe Lightroom as far as I know.

Opanda works perfectly and it's a non-polluting little utility. There are others.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

hawkeye1960 Registered since 11th Oct 2013Mon 14-Oct-13 10:41 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 1

Carlow, IE

Thanks very much for your prompt replies, guys. Really appreciate it!!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 14-Oct-13 02:35 AM
26802 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Paul,

Welcome to nikonians!
You can download Opanda IExif v2.3 free at www.opanda.com.
Keep in mind that to get the total number of shutter actuations you must open a jpeg file created in the camera.

Best Regards,
Marty

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 15-Oct-13 05:18 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 15-Oct-13 08:06 PM by buffumjr

US

Is there anything in Photoshop Elements that yields this?

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Tue 15-Oct-13 06:05 PM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Elements? No. At least, not that I know of. Download Opanda. It's free, and has no ad ware or spy ware associated with it. I've used it for years now.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 15-Oct-13 07:22 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 15-Oct-13 07:27 PM by buffumjr

US

Spent some time exploring Elements. My version is 10. File->File Info->Camera Info is said to have it, but not in v.10.

What else do these utilities do besides?

OH! (forehead slap!) How about taking it to a brick and mortar camera store? They'd hafta know, if they accept trade-ins.

(addition) And they charge for it. Mine asks $25. Go fer the free downlload!

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 15-Oct-13 07:58 PM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

>Is there anythging in Photoshop Elements that yields this?

In Elements I think it used to be located in File>Advanced>Schema - look for "aux: ImageNumber:"

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 15-Oct-13 08:35 PM
#8. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Nope.

Download tonight.

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 15-Oct-13 09:06 PM
#9. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Yep! It works! Opanda makes two products. Be sure you get the right one.

Only 517 exposures! Young camera! Better deal than I thought. I was afraid it was some professional's or insane shutterbug's old war horse with 20K or more releases.

Thanx for good stuff!

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 15-Oct-13 09:07 PM
#10. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

Cool.

If you're going to download Opanda, make sure you get IEXIF 2. Opanda makes other similarly named utilities that won't give you shutter actuation count.

If you're going to download Photoshop Elements, have a blast. It's a terrific program. I've reviewed several versions of it over the years. Adobe has put everything but the kitchen sink into it and done a very good job of integration. There are quite a few photographers who've purchased Photoshop CS, who could easily be saving hundreds of dollars by using Elements instead and sacrifice nothing by doing so.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

hawkeye1960 Registered since 11th Oct 2013Tue 15-Oct-13 10:14 PM
#11. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 10

Carlow, IE

>Cool.
>
>If you're going to download Opanda, make sure you get IEXIF 2.
>Opanda makes other similarly named utilities that won't give
>you shutter actuation count.
>
>If you're going to download Photoshop Elements, have a blast.
>It's a terrific program. I've reviewed several versions of it
>over the years. Adobe has put everything but the kitchen sink
>into it and done a very good job of integration. There are
>quite a few photographers who've purchased Photoshop CS, who
>could easily be saving hundreds of dollars by using Elements
>instead and sacrifice nothing by doing so.
>
Great! have bought Elements 11 recently, just waiting to get a decent laptop to put it on.

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 16-Oct-13 12:39 AM
#12. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 11

US

hawkeye1960 said
>Great! have bought Elements 11 recently, just waiting to get a
>decent laptop to put it on.

A laptop, for Elements? Going on the road?

hawkeye1960 Registered since 11th Oct 2013Thu 17-Oct-13 06:26 PM
#13. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 12

Carlow, IE

>hawkeye1960 said
>>Great! have bought Elements 11 recently, just waiting to
>get a
>>decent laptop to put it on.
>
>A laptop, for Elements? Going on the road?
Nope, but we have a weekly workshop in our photography group, so need a portable pc. Any comments on the minimum spec req'd ? Do I need a seperate graphics card ( Nvideo?)How much ram, best chip? Dont want to break the bank though!

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sat 19-Oct-13 01:38 AM
#14. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 13
Sat 19-Oct-13 01:42 AM by buffumjr

US

hawkeye1960
>Any comments on the minimum spec req'd ?

Uhhhhh, as much as you can afford.

Elements is kind, and will work on XP, as will Photomatx, Kai's Photo Goo, and some others. Lightroom REQUIRES Vista and above. More and more of the better softwares seem to be doing this. Be safe, go Vista or above. Whatever is bundled. If you can't stand (eeeewwww!) Windows 8, you CAN "backload" a previous OS, if you are buying a machine with Windows 8. Sometimes, they'll do it for free to sell the laptop.

As much RAM as you can get! Look up memory paging, and swapping to the pagefile. The more memory, the less of this, the faster it runs.

Check your software to see what video is required. With laptops, you don't get to choose. It's part of the motherboard, and cannot be changed. Many laptops DO have an auxillary monitor port.

My desktop PC has 140 gig HD. 1/4 is used. After 6 years. Just take what is offered. You don't NEED 16TB.

A USB mouse makes things go soooo much easier.

Memory is the biggest speed issue. Go fer the most RAM!

DC2105 Registered since 15th Sep 2013Mon 21-Oct-13 06:32 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 14

Kolkata, IN

It is now IExif 2.3.

Thanks for the info.

D5100 is better than any Sniper.

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sun 27-Oct-13 12:22 PM
#16. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Sooooo, how many releases did you find it had?

Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sat 11-Jan-14 10:40 PM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Shutter count on D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Kent, CA

I wanted to find my shutter count for my D5100 - and really I thought it would be simple. It should be there in the menu system right? Wrong.

As mentioned above there are a few ways to find the count through websites like: http://www.camerashuttercount.com/ and http://www.nikonshuttercount.com/ (which is not by Nikon as the name might suggest - but this one also returns your serial number) or you could use http://www.myshuttercount.com/ . None of these got any warning of from my virus or malware protections.

I also found that you can get this information off any jpg uploaded to Flickr if you use that site.

My point is that it should not be this hard. It is something that should be easily accessed from the camera itself.

One question for the Nikon Experts here, this number is sometimes called "shutter activation" and other times called image count, or in once case I see is is the "unique image id" (Zoner). When I have both RAW and JPG set and make two copies of each image, does my shutter activate twice or does the camera make two images from that one release? And if I also select auto-bracketting am I increasing the number of shutter releases? or Images?

This all started out when I thought I'd see how far a battery goes and wanted to put the image count on the battery when I installed it.

My that little notion took much longer than I thought it would.

Side Note on the Life Expectancy of the Shutter:

I also found a link to a site that is supposed to tell you your camera's shutter activation life expectancy, seems I should expect many more years of use from this camera if this website is accurate:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d5000.htm where I read: "Average number of actuations after which shutter died: 263,765" Nikon says the D5100 is tested to 100,000 clicks, which means I'm about 20% done. I have a feeling I'll want to upgrade before I wear this one out. (Of course these are just averages and don't take into account how you handle your camera).

I now return to what I was doing before - trying to take a picture of falling snow.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 11-Jan-14 11:20 PM
3310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Shutter count on D5100"
In response to Reply # 17

Hatboro, Pa, US

Every time the shutter opens and closes it counts as one actuation. If you save every photo as a jpg and raw that is only one. But if you take a photo using Liveview it will count as two for each photo.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sat 11-Jan-14 11:51 PM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Shutter count on D5100"
In response to Reply # 18

Fort Kent, CA

>Every time the shutter opens and closes it counts as one
>actuation. If you save every photo as a jpg and raw that is
>only one. But if you take a photo using Liveview it will count
>as two for each photo.
>
>Len
>

Had to look into this "live view" feature. I often use the LCD screen rather than the viewfinder - depends on the situation. Good to know. Didn't know that would affect the image count.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Rayrosher Gold Member Nikonian since 05th May 2013Mon 03-Feb-14 10:22 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Shutter count on D5100"
In response to Reply # 18

UK

http://www.myshuttercount.com/

works for me

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Mon 03-Feb-14 10:10 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

PL

Hi
To check shutter acuations number I use simple free lightweight photo browser: "Irfan View". It can be also downloaded portable from "portableapps".
When viewing a photo, I just press "E" and it shows extensive Exif info, including "Total pictures" parameter. You can also choose parameters to be shown in status bar beneath the image when browsing. There about 100(?) parameters to choose from.
Regards
S.

md2014 Registered since 17th Mar 2014Thu 20-Mar-14 03:34 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 20

Brisbane, AU

Thanks for that, I know of Infra View, so might get that sometime

Rayrosher Gold Member Nikonian since 05th May 2013Mon 03-Feb-14 10:24 AM
#22. "RE: shutter count on D 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

http://www.myshuttercount.com/
http://www.camerashuttercount.com/
http://shuttercounter.com/
Works for me

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8826 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.