nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8822
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cheap Charger from Hong Kong" Previous topic | Next topic
Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sun 13-Oct-13 06:33 AM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cheap Charger from Hong Kong"

Fort Kent, CA

My battery charger died.
My local camera shop did not have any in stock and said he could order me one - for about $75- ouch.
So I turned to eBay and found many on offer.
Took a chance and ordered one from "kayd-sky" one of many Hong Kong eBay vendors. This one offered a genuine EN-EL14 Battery & MH-24 Charger for $27.00 with free postage. My local store had said it might take weeks to get the $75 MH-24 but was not sure because no one had ever ordered one when he told them how much.
It took about three weeks and my parcel arrived from China.
Packaging and product look genuine. Battery has the hologram and looks absolutely identical to my other EN-EL14's which also go for about $80+ here in Canada. So for $27 I got $160+ in battery and charger.
Now the MH-24 had a detachable cord and my original had a fold out plug but this one actually plugs in better and stays plugged in properly.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/2512930104984040_2.jpg

So, so far so good.

Later I heard from another Nikon user that Staples sells a universal battery charger that charges EN-EL14's and others for about $30.00. Had I known that I'd have bought one of those but then I'd not now have a third battery.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 13-Oct-13 08:22 PM
27027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cheap Charger from Hong Kong"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi David,

Since the charger and battery are branded Nikon there is little doubt that they are counterfeit. You did Not get $160.00 of equipment for $27.00. You more than likely got $4.00 of equipment for your $27.00!

Counterfeit goods cost name brand manufacturers hundreds of millions of dollars every year. In addition the counterfeiters are willing to break the law and build the product as cheaply as humanly possible to maximize their profits without any regard for the consumers safety or well being. Counterfeit goods lack safety features and are not tested by UL or any safety lab. They just counterfeit the safety labels as well. Lithium ion batteries and or chargers can easily overheat and start a fire, especially if they don't have the appropriate safety features built in. The only thing counterfeiters care about is maximizing the amount of money they make regardless of the consequences.

While I recommend genuine Nikon batteries and chargers, even though they have a generous profit margin built into the cost.
A safe alternative is to buy one of the third party offerings (Pearstone, Calumet, etc...). At least the third party offerings have the distributors name on the equipment and I assume went through the testing process to provide the consumer with a safe product.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Best Regards,
Marty

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8822 Previous topic | Next topic