Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8796
View in linear mode

Subject: "Picture control settings D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
MisterRoly Registered since 04th Oct 2013Sat 05-Oct-13 02:15 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Picture control settings D3100"

US

I recently began tinkering with the picture control settings on my D3100 and became curious to know if anyone else has customized theirs. It seems to me that all the picture controls (except monochrome) are identical and I'd like to know what your favorite picture control adjustments are.
I tend to over saturate my VI control

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 05-Oct-13 03:39 AM
4738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Picture control settings D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Given that your profile is empty, and given that you say that all the picture controls seem identical, I would ask if you are shooting raw files and using non-Nikon software to process them?

Only Nikon's software read the picture control settings inside the raw files; Adobe and everyone else ignore the settings.

If you are shooting JPG, all the picture control settings are baked into the picture making it easy to see the differences in the picture controls.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 05-Oct-13 01:50 PM
3296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Picture control settings D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

All the picture controls should not be identical. I think you'll find that in the VI (Vivid) mode saturation is increased. That's what makes it vivid.

I generally use SD (Standard) and bump up the Sharpening and Contrast to suit the way I like to see my photos. I find the saturation a little too high in VI mode as well. There is nothing wrong with changing the settings. They can always be brought back to the default settings. Read pages 94 and 95 of your manual.

As Joseph points out the settings only are visible when shooting jpg or when using Nikon software to view photos taken in raw.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MisterRoly Registered since 04th Oct 2013Sat 05-Oct-13 05:02 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Picture control settings D3100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for clearing that up. I usually use the ViewNX software to make small adjustments, and now that you mention Adobe ignoring the picture controls, I remember thinking my files looked a bit flat when I open them in photoshop.
I went ahead and took a few shots on SD, bumping up the sharpening and contrast as you do, Leonard. I also brought the hue down a notch, but Im not sure what that did. Liking the shots I got so far.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 05-Oct-13 10:14 PM
613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Picture control settings D3100"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 05-Oct-13 11:04 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Don't have 3100 did Have the 3000 (sold it) now have the 3200. In the 3200 I shoot raw only and adjust as needed in a Editing Program. When I was shooting Jpeg I increased the Contrast and Sharpening. As For Modes such Vivid I didn't apply anything. I want my Pictures of people looking natural looking as if when I am seeing them with eyes. As For Landscape stuff the only thing I want is for the colors of sky and landscape maybe to be a Little deeper.

Landscape:

wasn't corrected for Perspective taken with wide-angle lens on a Hillside

People: (my Mother taken without Flash hand held)

Mother is working on some sewing in these shots.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8796 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.