Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8764
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shutter problems with D3100 " Previous topic | Next topic
SNAPEYE Registered since 27th Sep 2013Fri 27-Sep-13 08:14 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shutter problems with D3100 "

UK

I'm not able to use my camera. I have an 'Error Press shutter release button again' message but when I do nothing happens.When I removed my lens and looked inside as I pressed the shutter I could see only one side of the shutter was lifting. I've only had it 2 and1/2 yrs. I wonder how common a problem it is as I talked to someone recently who had same message (his was only 1 yr old and out of warranty)and when they sent it away to Nikon the reply was that moisture had got in and corroded it.
I don't want to have to spend money to get the same answer so think I might upgrade and buy a new body. This is my first Nikon SLR I've always bought Olympus so disappointed.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Shutter problems with D3100
aolander Silver Member
28th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
28th Sep 2013
SNAPEYE
29th Sep 2013
aolander Silver Member
29th Sep 2013
SNAPEYE
20th Oct 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
20th Oct 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 28-Sep-13 03:30 PM
3333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shutter problems with D3100 "
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The error message you see, I believe, can be from numerous causes, but from other posts I've read, I usually means a repair is in order. Things fail from any maker.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 28-Sep-13 04:12 PM
26816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shutter problems with D3100 "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Sylvia,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear about the problem with your D3100.
Unfortunately anything electronic or mechanical can fail at any time, regardless of brand.
I would send the camera to Nikon Service or a Nikon Authorized Service Station and get an estimate (free). Then you will be able to make an informed decision.
It is usually much cheaper to have the camera repaired than replacing it.

Best Regards,
Marty

SNAPEYE Registered since 27th Sep 2013Sun 29-Sep-13 11:12 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shutter problems with D3100 "
In response to Reply # 2

UK

Thanks for your reply. You're probably right and good to know I can get a free estimate. I have enjoyed the camera and it's a good size for travelling with. I still think it's a too much of a coincidence that this model seems to have had shutter problems from the start.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 29-Sep-13 02:14 PM
3333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Shutter problems with D3100 "
In response to Reply # 3

Nevis, US

I've never heard anything about the D3100 having any sort of widespread shutter issues. Your friend's issue from moisture and yours are probably completely different. The error message you got shows up for a variety of issues, not just the shutter.

Alan

SNAPEYE Registered since 27th Sep 2013Sun 20-Oct-13 12:27 PM
#5. "RE: Shutter problems with D3100 "
In response to Reply # 4

UK

I've had it repaired and I'm due to collect it. The repairer thinks I must have knocked it. That's the trouble with plastic bodies I guess.
The repair was cheaper than buying a new body and ut's fully serviced so hopefully it will go on for a few more photographic expeditions.
Thanks for your help

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 20-Oct-13 07:31 PM
26816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Shutter problems with D3100 "
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Sylvia,

Glad to hear your D3100 is up and running again.
While the plastic bodies are very tough, the metal bodies are made to take more abuse.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8764 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.