Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8756
View in linear mode

Subject: "Trying to choose..." Previous topic | Next topic
LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Tue 24-Sep-13 03:39 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Trying to choose..."

Spartanburg, US

I am replacing my short range telephoto lens that I use with the D7000 and D5100. I've decided to focus on the Sigma rather than the Tamron after reading reviews and Nikonian articles. {I can't afford the Nikon 24-70]. I'm hoping the forum can help me decide.

Is the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS (Optical Stabilizer) HSM AutoFocus Super Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon compatible with the Nikon D5100? How about the Sigma17-50mm F2.8 EX DC (OS)* HSM?

If I am correct in my thinking, the HSM means that the lens has its own motor and both lenses are compatible with the D5100. Do any of you

I'm trying to decide between the two, so any input on your experience with either of these lenses and the D5100 would be appreciated.

LL49Wat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Trying to choose...
MEMcD Moderator
25th Sep 2013
LL49Wat
25th Sep 2013
blw Moderator
25th Sep 2013
LL49Wat
28th Sep 2013
LL49Wat
29th Sep 2013
blw Moderator
30th Sep 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 25-Sep-13 12:11 PM
26439 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Trying to choose..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Lynn,

You are right.
HSM stands for Hyper Sonic Motor, Sigma's version of Silent Wave Motor.
Therefore bothe lenses support AF when used on the D5100.

The 17-50mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM is a variable aperture zoom.
The 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM is a constant aperture zoom. It is optically superior and has a better build quality.

Best Regards,
Marty

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Wed 25-Sep-13 01:31 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Trying to choose..."
In response to Reply # 1

Spartanburg, US

Thank you. I'd heard that the f/2.8-4 has just been redesigned and the optics have improved greatly.

I originally wanted the 2.8 but was looking at the other because it was less expensive, improved optics, and weighed less and might balance better on the D5100. However, both lenses weigh the same!

LL49Wat

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 25-Sep-13 07:51 PM
26783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Trying to choose..."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Every Sigma HSM lens has an internal motor, so both of these will AF on your D5100.

However, the reverse is not always true. Some Sigma lenses that do NOT have the HSM moniker DO have internal focus motors! Sigma HSM is like Nikon's ring-motor AFS, the higher-end ones. Unlike Nikon, which applies AFS to both ring motor lenses as well as geared micro-motor models, Sigma chooses to simply not mention micro-motor in the abbreviations, choosing to state that the model "has an internal focus motor."

I've never used either of these, but I think I've seen more favorable comments about the 17-70. This one is one of Sigma's new Contemporary series lenses; in common with their Art and Sports, these are their latest designs that are field-upgradeable via the USB dock, and which can be switched to other mounts by Sigma (for a price). Given what I know about the two (and what I don't), I'd opt for the 17-70 between these two.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Sat 28-Sep-13 02:47 AM
#4. "RE: Trying to choose..."
In response to Reply # 3

Spartanburg, US

I've got some questions about that "updating" in the Sigma, but I think I will post that over under the lens section.

LL49Wat

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Sun 29-Sep-13 10:41 PM
#5. "RE: Trying to choose..."
In response to Reply # 3

Spartanburg, US

I wonder if they will do the same sort of upgrade to the 17-50.

Thanks for the input!

LL49Wat

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 30-Sep-13 11:57 AM
26783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Trying to choose..."
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

They'll only do it when they redesign the lens. The configurability of these new series lenses mandates a fairly different way of designing the internals. They can't just plop the old stuff into the new process. I don't have any inside knowledge, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have to do a pretty extensive retooling of the plant to do this kind of thing.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8756 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.