Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #875
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 video length" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 15-Nov-09 07:45 PM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 video length"

Frederick, US

A couple weeks ago I asked the question about how long a video the D5000 could make. I got several good answers (but to be honest I don't remember what they were).

Today, I had the opportunity to make a couple videos and I learned that the apparent limit is 20 minutes. I had put in a 4GB SD just to make sure the size of the media didn't limit the video recording time. The first I made started at 20 minutes and counted down to about 5 before I stopped it. A little while later I started another and it again started at 20 minutes again. I let it run about 5 minutes and shut it off. Finally I started a 3rd video just to see if it would start at 20 minutes again. It did. I'm quite pleased with this performance, especially since it means you could stop a video and immediately restart it and make a much longer film.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 16-Nov-09 12:45 AM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 video length"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the review.
From the D5000 Users Manual:
"Maximum Size
Each movie file can be up to 2 GB in size. The maximum length is 5 min for movies with
a frame size of 1280 × 720, 20 min for other movies; note that depending on memory
card write speed, shooting may end before this length is reached."

It seems the write speed of the memory card could also reduce the maximum time.
Good Luck and Enjoy your nIKONS!

Best Regards,
Marty

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #875 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.