Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8732
View in linear mode

Subject: "How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?" Previous topic | Next topic
morykwas Registered since 19th Sep 2013Thu 19-Sep-13 04:04 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"

US

I want my D5000 to fire a SB-700 speedlight remotely. The userguide says this is possible, but I can't get it to work. I've set the SB-700 to "remote" but what should I do to the camera?

The speedlight works fine when it's physically attached. I tried following the printed instructions, but no luck so far. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?
MEMcD Moderator
19th Sep 2013
morykwas
19th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
19th Sep 2013
morykwas
20th Sep 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
20th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
21st Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
21st Sep 2013
morykwas
22nd Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Sep 2013
morykwas
22nd Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Sep 2013
morykwas
23rd Sep 2013
morykwas
25th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
28th Sep 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 19-Sep-13 05:54 PM
25035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ed,

Welcome to Nikonians!

You must set the SB-700 in SU-4 (optical slave mode) since the D5000 does not have Commander mode built in. In SU-4 mode you must go into the camera menu under built-in Flash and set it to Manual flash mode. For the most consistant results, the camera should be in Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO.

If you want to take full advantage of the Wireless CLS you must get another Speedlight (SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, or SU-800) in Commander mode to mount in the D5000's hotshoe to control your SB-700 (SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, and or SB-600) set in Remote mode.

Best Regards,
Marty

morykwas Registered since 19th Sep 2013Thu 19-Sep-13 07:15 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks, Marty. Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

I would have two speedlights. Let's say they're both SB-700.
The first ("master") is mounted on the hotshoe of my camera.
The second ("slave") is located elsewhere in the room.
When I take a picture, the "master" fires. The "slave" sees it and also fires. So I'm using two separate light sources.

Is that right?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 19-Sep-13 10:50 PM
25035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Ed,

Yes!

The on camera Speedlight in Commander mode will control the power level of both the on camera Speedlight and any remote Speedlights set to the same channel (1,2,3, or 4) as the on camera Speedlight. This allows you to take advantage of i-TTL wireless flash control as well as P, S, A, or M exposure modes. I would recommend always using manual ISO when using flash.

If you add an SC-17 (discontinued), SC-28, or SC-29 TTL extension cord to your kit you can get your Speedlight off of the camera while continuing to maintain i-TTL flash control. The catch is the distance between the flash and the camera is limited by the length of the cord.

Best Regards,
Marty

morykwas Registered since 19th Sep 2013Fri 20-Sep-13 02:33 PM
#4. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Marty, I appreciate that very clear explanation. Thanks for taking time to answer my question!

I actually have one of those extension cords you described, so I can hold the speedlight up at arm's length in one hand while holding the camera in my other hand. That works fine until my arm gets tired. My hope was to somehow mount the speedlight at the top of a light stand which I could move around my subject, firing it wirelessly.

I could definitely use an on-camera light source plus a remote light source in most cases. However, sometimes I want just a single light off to one side. It sounds like that's not possible. Oh, well.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 20-Sep-13 11:29 PM
496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 22-Sep-13 04:46 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Do they Make still a Bar that screws on camera and a hot shoe attachment slides on Camera Hot shoe the Flash attaches to other end of the Bar. I use to have one for my old film Chinnon cameras.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 21-Sep-13 02:38 AM
#7. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Phillip,

You are referring to a Flash Bracket.
There are flash brackets available in many sizes, shapes, and price points.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 21-Sep-13 02:33 AM
#6. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Ed,

> My hope was to somehow mount the speedlight
>at the top of a light stand which I could move around my
>subject, firing it wirelessly.

The Nikon Creative Lighting System will allow you to do that.

>I could definitely use an on-camera light source plus a remote
>light source in most cases. However, sometimes I want just a
>single light off to one side. It sounds like that's not
>possible. Oh, well.

It IS possible:

You can set the Commander to -- and the triggering flash will fire at very low power that won't contribute to the exposure unless you you are shooting at macro distances or very close to your subject. You can reduce the on camera Speedlights output more by rotating the flash head vertical and or at 45 degrees vertical and 180 degrees opposite of the subject.

You could also use an SU-800 as Commander. It uses IR light to communicate with the remote Speedlight(s) and will not contribute to the exposure even at macro distances.

When using a Camera body that has Commander mode built-in, you can place an SG-3IR in the cameras hotshoe to convert the white light from the built-in Speedlight to IR (Infra Red) light that won't contribute to the exposure.

Another option is to use RF remotes:

The: Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5, Radio Poppers, and some others provide TTL compatibility.

The Pocket Wizard Plus X, Plus II, Plus III, & Multi-Max Transceiver, Paul Buff CyberSyncs, and too many other brands to count will allow you to fire remote Speedlights and or Strobes using Manual Flash Control.

Best Regards,
Marty

morykwas Registered since 19th Sep 2013Sun 22-Sep-13 05:50 PM
#8. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Marty, I have a wireless trigger that looks like this...

Link to Amazon.com

I tried setting it up as you described, but no flash. I hate to keep bothering you with this same question, but it would be really cool if I can get it to work. Thanks again. --Ed

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 22-Sep-13 06:11 PM
#9. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Ed,

I am not familiar with that brand of RF trigger though looking at the link yo provided; the Receiving unit must be connected to the remote Speedlight or Strobe via what appears to be a 1/8" (3.5mm) Miniphone plug. Therefore you will need a Miniphone / PC to Hotshoe Adaptor to connect the trigger to your SB-700.
The Transmitter appears to have a hotfoot that should slide into the cameras hotshoe. To use this set up, the SB-700 must be set in Manual flash mode, Not Remote mode. Also make sure that the Transmitter and Receiver are both set to the same channel.
For consistant results set the Camera in Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO.

Best Regards,
Marty

morykwas Registered since 19th Sep 2013Sun 22-Sep-13 08:28 PM
#10. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Marty, is it this?

LumoPro Translator

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 23-Sep-13 12:19 AM
#11. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Ed,

Verify that your Receiver has the 3.5mm (1/8") Miniphone (Male) plug at the end of the wire. (The image in your previous link was small )
If it is, that adaptor should work with your Receiver and the D700.

Instead of one with a hotshoe on the top and bottom as described you might want to find one with a 1/4"-20 threaded hole on the bottom that you can mount on a tripod or light stand without needing another adaptor.
Check: www.flashzebra.com

Again, verify that your Receiver has a 3.5mm (1/8") Miniphone jack.

When I get to a computer, I will post a link.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 23-Sep-13 06:27 AM
#12. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Ed,

#0154 Screwlock PC & Miniphone Jack to Flash Hotshoe Adaptor was the Adaptor that I was thinking of. Here are a few others.

Again, verify that your Receiver has a 3.5mm (1/8") Miniphone plug.

Best Regards,
Marty

morykwas Registered since 19th Sep 2013Mon 23-Sep-13 05:01 PM
#13. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I have ordered it today and I will report here when it arrives. Again, Marty, thank you! --Ed

morykwas Registered since 19th Sep 2013Wed 25-Sep-13 08:50 PM
#14. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Marty, the adapter works great! That was the exact piece of the puzzle that I needed. Thanks so much for your knowledge and patience. You can mark this "Ticket Closed." --Ed

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 28-Sep-13 10:53 PM
#15. "RE: How can I get my D5000 to fire a SB-700 remotely?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Hi Ed,

Outstanding!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8732 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.