Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8725
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best equipment to display photo's away from home" Previous topic | Next topic
WallyFromUk Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2012Sun 15-Sep-13 09:52 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best equipment to display photo's away from home"

GB

Whislt I am slowly mastering my D5100 and using Photoshop, I would like to consider the ability to perhaps show larger format pictures away from home.

My current mobile is 10 years old, doesn't hve any screen, and a new would perhaps be too small. I am also thinking about showing some of the better wildlife photo's at the youth club I visit.

What do you recoomend (please remember I don't have any of the folloiwng listed or know of their capabilities)

Ipad? (too expensive - I just want to show not edit)
Kindle ? (is this able to do it?)
Photoframe? (is it limited by capacity)
Laptop

Etc.

Thanking you for educating a Wally.

Peter

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home
Obregon Moderator
15th Sep 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
15th Sep 2013
PattyBWest
16th Sep 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
17th Sep 2013
blw Moderator
21st Sep 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
22nd Sep 2013
greenwing Gold Member
22nd Sep 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
22nd Sep 2013
Beatkat Silver Member
09th Oct 2013
Jim 1957 Silver Member
22nd Sep 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
24th Sep 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
09th Oct 2013

Obregon Moderator Charter MemberSun 15-Sep-13 12:44 PM
2434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

The Kindle Fire is able to do this, although even the large size Kindle Fire is pretty small for a group showing. You will need to download an app to do this but they are all fairly cheap. For a club showing one really needs a projector. Perhaps the club has such a device.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 15-Sep-13 08:43 PM
488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 0

Martinsville, US

as For The iPad depends upon which version you buy. They have 16,32, 64, 128 MB version and also versions that work with Phone number only or Phone and Wi-Fi. You don't necessarily have to get the newest model. Which can reduce price.

Or purchase a MacBook Air or something similar The MacBook can work with projector that Plug in. I'm sure some of The Windows Machines can do Similar, HP, or Dell. Although I don't use Windows I've seen and am impressed with Dell. I use to like Gateway but they have fell by the way side.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

PattyBWest Registered since 15th Sep 2013Mon 16-Sep-13 06:35 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 2

Jacksonville, US

When on a trip to South Africa last fall, I wanted to view my photos each day. I purchased the iPad 64 MB and a 32 pin to usb converter for connection to the camera. I was able to upload over 3800 photos from 12 different cameras and view them instantly. The group loved it. In addition, I was able to download tons of books to read while flying. Those 3800 photos and all the books (about 200 of them) have barely begun to fill the memory banks of the iPad, so I don't have to worry about offloading or deleting them until I am ready.

The iPad is small enough to fit most camera bags but large enough to view clearly. During this 23 day trip, I charged it once in the car and once overnight just before I left. Battery life is long on the iPad so you don't have to worry about losing the battery. It recharges in about 6 hours if completely down. When I returned home, I connected the iPad to my PC via the USB 32pin converter and uploaded all photos to the PC for editing.

Usually taking a PC along is way too much trouble because of battery life, weight, and size. The original size iPad could fit where I needed it and was easy to work with while out of country.

Yes, a new iPad is a little pricey, but considering the use you will get out of it, it is an investment that you will use for a long time. By the way, it also will do most of the things a regular PC will do as far as internet, email, etc. If you do some searching, you should be able to find one for less than the (approximate) cost of $600.00. Check some of the online auctions like Qubids. You could get one for less than the asking price if you watch and bid.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Patty

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Tue 17-Sep-13 12:19 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 3

Toluca Lake, US

I use the free space allowed to Nikon customers at Nikon Image Space. I add and delete photos at will and they look great on my smartphone OR tablet. It's especially nice to be able to quickly show some images to friends no matter where you may be. If I'm near WiFi I use my tablet, otherwise the 4G network on my smartphone. Another good choice is Dropbox.

Mary

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 21-Sep-13 04:40 PM
26290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Don't overlook the Internet - it's pretty straightforward these days to upload, and you can then point them to any URL.

An iPad or other tablet doesn't need to be ridiculously expensive, and it might well be useful for many other things.

A photo frame will work. It is limited by capacity, but not by much. You're only going to put JPEGs in there, and since the frame itself dictates the maximum display size, they will be tiny. I have a photo frame that has a microscopic (by today's standards) 256MB. It's even a relatively large frame (about 7x10?). There are something like 450 images in there, with room for more.

If you think that a tablet is expensive, laptops are even more so. But of course they do even more things.

You could even just upgrade your mobile - and add what's called a pico projector. These things are about $300, and while they won't display a 100" image, you can carry it in your pocket. Probably limited to about 30-40" diagonal display, it might be the right kind of thing. On the other hand, you're not likely to be using it for much else unless you're traveling a lot.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Sun 22-Sep-13 02:23 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 5

Toluca Lake, US

I agree about not buying an expensive tablet. The technology changes so quickly it doesn't pay to invest too much. I bought my first tablet last July, the Google Nexus 7, and it was only $200. It's absolutely fantastic and I love showing or looking at my photos on it. It's still going strong so I'm not even considering the new model; I'll let it go a few years or until I'm forced to replace it.

Mary

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sun 22-Sep-13 08:29 AM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

It may not suit your application, but I have a Windows phone and an application called PhotoBeamer. It displays photos from the phone on any device that can browse the internet - laptop, tablet, desktop, internet connected TV. Just browse to the website on the display device, scan a QR code with the phone, and the pictures are displayed. You use the phone as a remote control.

Chris

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 22-Sep-13 10:13 PM
600 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

A Surface RT costs about $350 new, and less refurbished, has a kickstand, and understands NEF raw.

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Wed 09-Oct-13 02:52 AM
237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 09-Oct-13 02:56 AM by Beatkat

Oxford, US

I have a Surface RT and love it...it has a bright display, larger than the ipad, and it also has a usb port and mini SD card slot built in. I really love to carry my HP laptop though, as it has a bright, 15.6" LED display, with the added ability to use all my full blown editing programs as well, instead of "apps"...and for simple organization, quick editing(even in NEF), and a neat slideshow app built in, I load the free Faststone Image viewer on ALL my computers...(faststone.org). Then I bought a Tamrac Aero 70 backpack that carries both the laptop and my DSLR with several lenses...seems to be a very good traveling option, albeit a bit heavy when I load it up....but a good way to keep everything safe and in sight when traveling....a good laptop is less than an ipad these days, and has a lot more functionality and a beautiful, big, bright LED lit screen...
Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
18-105VR
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Jim 1957 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Sun 22-Sep-13 10:19 PM
164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 0

Corinth, US

I really love my IPad. I had the original and now the IPad 4 with the retina display and it rocks!
Yes it isn't cheap, but it does so many other things that it works for me.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Tue 24-Sep-13 12:40 AM
488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 9

Martinsville, US

You don't have to buy the most expensive. RAM size are 16, 32, 64, and 128 gb If all your going to do Photos the 16 Phone/WIFI should be adequate or no more than the 32 version I have the 64 version iPad 3 and have tons of space even my iPhone 5 is 32 version and all The photos I have fit and gobs of Memory left.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 09-Oct-13 09:34 PM
#12. "RE: Best equipment to display photo's away from home"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri 11-Oct-13 12:10 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

For those considering an iPad Apple makes a $30.00 camera Connection kit. I use an iPad, a version 3, so has the large connector not the lightning connector.

They consist of two adapters. One allows USB connection to camera. One you plug SD cards into and can read directly from SD card.

They make the same kit for the newer versions using the lightning connector.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8725 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.