Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mariposa, US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DLConway Registered since 12th Sep 2013
Fri 13-Sep-13 03:41 PM

Hello I am brand new to this forum. I use a D5000. Back in August I was trying to take pictures of the Perseid meteor shower. I sat the camera to manual, ISO 800, Shutter speed 30 seconds, Image type RAW, long exposure and high iso noise reduction both turned off. Then I sat the interval timer in the camera to interval 1 second, number of intervals 451 and the camera started taking pictures just fine. However, after about 20 shots the camera quit taking pictures. I reset everything and started again and the same thing happened. Battery was fresh and showing a full charge. air temperature was in the upper 50's.
Any thoughts on why the camera shuts down so soon? In the past I have used the interval timer with noise reduction on and increased the interval time to about 2.5 times the shutter speed with no problems, but since I had the noise reduction off I thought the 1 second would be OK. The only thing I can think of is that the buffer got overloaded. I know that if I am shooting in burst mode and especially if I'm shooting in RAW after a few shots I have to let the camera catch up. Does the D5000 quit processing one image when it starts taking the next causing the buffer to fill up? If not I would think that the 31 seconds between the start of one shot and the start of the next would be enough time to finish processing and saving the raw image. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated especially if you have experienced this and solved the problem.

Reply message RE: D5000 Interval timer problem