Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8714
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 Interval timer problem" Previous topic | Next topic
DLConway Registered since 12th Sep 2013Fri 13-Sep-13 03:41 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 Interval timer problem"

Mariposa, US

Hello I am brand new to this forum. I use a D5000. Back in August I was trying to take pictures of the Perseid meteor shower. I sat the camera to manual, ISO 800, Shutter speed 30 seconds, Image type RAW, long exposure and high iso noise reduction both turned off. Then I sat the interval timer in the camera to interval 1 second, number of intervals 451 and the camera started taking pictures just fine. However, after about 20 shots the camera quit taking pictures. I reset everything and started again and the same thing happened. Battery was fresh and showing a full charge. air temperature was in the upper 50's.
Any thoughts on why the camera shuts down so soon? In the past I have used the interval timer with noise reduction on and increased the interval time to about 2.5 times the shutter speed with no problems, but since I had the noise reduction off I thought the 1 second would be OK. The only thing I can think of is that the buffer got overloaded. I know that if I am shooting in burst mode and especially if I'm shooting in RAW after a few shots I have to let the camera catch up. Does the D5000 quit processing one image when it starts taking the next causing the buffer to fill up? If not I would think that the 31 seconds between the start of one shot and the start of the next would be enough time to finish processing and saving the raw image. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated especially if you have experienced this and solved the problem.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 Interval timer problem
JosephK Silver Member
13th Sep 2013
DLConway
13th Sep 2013
JosephK Silver Member
14th Sep 2013
DLConway
14th Sep 2013
aolander Silver Member
13th Sep 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 13-Sep-13 09:56 PM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 Interval timer problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like there was just some incorrect interval timer settings. The interval time needs to include all the exposure time for the frame(s) plus any wait time. For a single 30-second frame and a 1-second wait, you need an interval time of 31 seconds. (I would go with 32 just to be safe.)

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

DLConway Registered since 12th Sep 2013Fri 13-Sep-13 11:04 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 Interval timer problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Mariposa, US

Thank you for the reply. I just tried it out to see what happens because my understanding from reading the manual was that the new interval time started when the shutter closed. I set the interval timer to 32 sec and a shutter speed of 30 seconds, the shutter went through the 30 second cycle then the camera waited 32 seconds and took the next shot instead of taking it 2 seconds after the cycle ended. I am trying to get as minimal amount of time as possible between shots. Looks like I need to play around with the timing to see what happens. I also went back and looked at the meta data on all of the shots I took that night and noticed when I had the camera set on 25 sec shutter speed and 1 minute interval with the noise reductions on it never shut down. With that in mind do you think I'm on the right track with the buffer overload idea?

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 14-Sep-13 05:58 AM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 Interval timer problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

If you are using a shutter speed measured in whole seconds, your buffer will almost always be empty.

If Long Exposure Noise Reduction is turned on (on purpose or by mistake, check the default setting) then that will double your shutter speed length (25 seconds becomes 50 since it takes two frames).

Once you have set your interval number and durations, during the run if your shutter speeds are too long for the interval then the camera will skip to the next available interval to maintain the schedule which results in frames being dropped.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

DLConway Registered since 12th Sep 2013Sat 14-Sep-13 07:31 AM
#5. "RE: D5000 Interval timer problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Mariposa, US

Thanks again, I did a little more testing and found it takes about 4 seconds to process the image after taking the shot so I set the interval timer to 35 seconds and it works just like I wanted. Thank you for steering me the right direction.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 13-Sep-13 10:25 PM
3203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 Interval timer problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Joseph is correct. The interval has to be longer than each exposure.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8714 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.