Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8701
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5200 built in flash" Previous topic | Next topic
Scruff81 Registered since 14th Jul 2013Sat 07-Sep-13 09:33 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5200 built in flash"

GB

This may seen like a silly question but I can't figure out how to turn off the built in flash on my D5200. I mainly shoot outdoors but have a family 21st party coming up and I read that the best way to take portraits in poor lighting is to turn off the flash and increase the ISO. Any advice would be appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5200 built in flash
Leonard62 Gold Member
07th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
07th Sep 2013
Scruff81
08th Sep 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
08th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
08th Sep 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 07-Sep-13 12:30 PM
3203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5200 built in flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Fiona. Take the camera out of Auto mode.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 07-Sep-13 02:42 PM
26469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5200 built in flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Fiona,

Welcome to Nikonians!
You can turn the Mode dial to Auto (flash off) (between Auto and SCENE on the mode dial) or use P, S, A, or M exposure modes.

Best Regards,
Marty

Scruff81 Registered since 14th Jul 2013Sun 08-Sep-13 10:14 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5200 built in flash"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Thanks guys. I rarely use auto must have have had it on when I was shooting at Windsor park a few months ago and the flash kept popping up. I mainly use aperture priority and just assumed the flash would come on if needed so I was looking for an off button. I knew it was a silly question.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 08-Sep-13 03:18 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D5200 built in flash"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 09-Sep-13 08:16 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Should be able to go in the Menu > Camera set up and scroll down (pushing down arrow) until you see flash Should be able to turn off there

If you set ISO to semi-Automatic where you set a Maximum ISO it should not flash if you set f stops to take advantage of th High ISO.

This was taken with my 3200 inside with no Flash had ISO set to semi-Automatic

This is a cousin - in - law that just moved back from Texas.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 08-Sep-13 03:20 PM
26469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5200 built in flash"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Fiona,

There are No silly questions!

When in P,S,A,or M exposure modes, you must press the Flash button to turn the built-in Speedlight On.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8701 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.