Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8671
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 Image Quality Settings" Previous topic | Next topic
Rince UK Registered since 02nd Sep 2013Tue 03-Sep-13 01:15 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Image Quality Settings"

GB

Ken Rockwell advises here to set the camera to JPEG Basic, as there is no difference between this and Fine: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100/users-guide/index.htm

What would you say to this? I have a 32Gb card in the camera, which means I have about 3,200 photos at JPEG Fine, but the images are smaller and quicker to upload for storage if I use the basic setting, and over 12,000 photos.

I don't have the knowledge myself to make a judgement on this, other than the photos seem to look OK in both settings.

Cheers,

Andy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings
briantilley Moderator
03rd Sep 2013
Rince UK
03rd Sep 2013
blw Moderator
03rd Sep 2013
Rince UK
04th Sep 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
04th Sep 2013
briantilley Moderator
04th Sep 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
04th Sep 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
05th Sep 2013
JosephK Silver Member
07th Sep 2013
DC2105
26th Sep 2013
blw Moderator
26th Sep 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 03-Sep-13 01:23 PM
29166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

>What would you say to this?

I would completely ignore it.

The author of the website you quote often makes statements simply to create controversy and attract web hits. I never put any trust in what he recommends.

Shooting in JPEG Basic throws away four times as much image data as using JPEG Fine. The difference may not be obvious if you're only looking at a small image on screen, but as soon as you want to edit the image, crop it, or print it large, you'll see the loss in quality.

Another factor is that I would not want to trust 12,000 images to a single memory card. SD cards are pretty reliable, but they do fail occasionally.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Rince UK Registered since 02nd Sep 2013Tue 03-Sep-13 01:42 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thank you that has answered a big question for me. I did wonder if cropping would show anything.

I also can't think of a time I would go more than a few days without uploading and formatting the card again, but this was just to talk about the image sizes.

I shall keep this on Fine from here on in.

Thanks,

Andy

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 03-Sep-13 09:50 PM
26801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> here is no difference between this and Fine

Well, if you're sending an email, that's mostly true. It's not true if you're sending to one of my friends who has two 30" monitors, for example, but for most people, an email with basic = email with fine.

On the other hand, if you try to make a print on glossy paper, you will likely see a VERY BIG difference.

If you have to crop, particularly if you have to crop a lot, one of those succeeds and one just does not.

One might reasonably ask why Nikon would put that in if Basic isn't good for much. One reason is that when shooting in raw mode, a JPEG is generated so you can preview the image on the camera's LCD, and that JPEG is then embedded into the raw file. In that case, you still have ALL of the data captured by the camera (because it's saving a raw file), but the JPEG is used only for preview - in such a case, basic might be a good idea.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Rince UK Registered since 02nd Sep 2013Wed 04-Sep-13 12:04 AM
#4. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Aside from sharing some of my images on Facebook, for the most part, I usually crop some part of a photo - the Sun picture I took earlier was a 100% crop.

All good advise and makes perfect sense thanks

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 04-Sep-13 07:00 PM
587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 4

Martinsville, US

I am puzzled about statement 100% Crop. To my way of thinking if its cropped 100% it doesn't exist. On the other hand If I reduce by half to me that is a 50% crop (looks like it been zoomed 200%).

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 04-Sep-13 07:22 PM
29166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

The term "100% crop" refers to a un-resized crop from an image, that is small enough to display at 100% magnification on a typical monitor - for example, a 900x600 pixel crop.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 04-Sep-13 07:27 PM
587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 6

Martinsville, US

Thanks for the answer.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 05-Sep-13 08:33 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 7

Springfield, US

Just a dumb question, but why are we saving in JPEG? I thought the standard wisdom was to shoot NEF and then convert in with the Nikon software. At least shoot NEF + JPEG Fine.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 07-Sep-13 06:31 AM
4660 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, WA, US

It is a matter of what you are doing with your photos (email/blog) and how little post processing you want to do on them.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

DC2105 Registered since 15th Sep 2013Thu 26-Sep-13 03:26 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 9

Kolkata, IN

I personally prefer to shoot in RAW and afterwards if necessary save it in jpeg for different purpose (email/blog).

D5100 is better than any Sniper.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 26-Sep-13 03:10 PM
26801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: D5100 Image Quality Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

By the way, that web site also says another thing that's ridiculous to most of the audience here. He says that there's no reason at all to shoot in raw, and that he hasn't even opened a raw file in several years. Well, maybe that works for some folks, but definitely NOT for most really serious photographers, especially ones that are exhibiting or selling their work. Have a look at what post processing can do - even in situations where you get it right in camera - in this pinned thread. Most of that can't be done to quite the degree shown there if shot in JPEG. And those aren't even the limit. Of course, the author of that web site might not even know this is possible, since as he says he hasn't even opened a raw file in a few years...

The raw files are considerably larger than even fine jpegs, but for most of us, it's well worth the price. My cameras are only 12mp, but saving the files in lossless compressed NEF, I get about 2400 images on a 32GB card. I sometimes shoot as many as 4000-5000 frames in a long weekend, so I need several cards. But that's pretty extreme (note that for that kind of race weekend I probably brought two cameras and five or six lenses, and was out shooting roughly 10-11 hours per day).

I would estimate that probably 85% of members here are shooting raw, with another some proportion shooting raw + jpeg.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8671 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.