Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #863
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question on working of D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Thu 12-Nov-09 04:56 AM
2304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question on working of D5000"

US

OK , the dial modes are good.Namely ; Landscape and 'no flash'.

But I strongly desire to use smaller f-stops , and sometimes to use -/+ exposure.

I'm slightly kinda down and frustrated with trying to do this with the D5000.

Whenever I go off these modes - exposures are ...(more dead,flat,dull,worse dinamic range) and nowhere near as good as the dial modes.

Now yes , I got some awesome vaction photos with this camera , and I am happy.And I only have this D5000(and my first digital SLR)4months.

But I want what I'm seeing with those two dial modes ... with smaller apperatures, and be able to use ISO up to 2000(still gives great results at ISO 2000).Exposure is almost subjective;I'd also like to use -/+ exposure if needed.

I have tryed "A" mode with set to 'landscape' , also in 'Vi' setting.(Ya know...in the SD,VI,NL place,while on "A").Results are as mentioned above.(compaired to Landscape dial mode-same image)

I've been such an "A" person in my life/photography ... it's hard to swallow stuff out of focus - that I perfer in focus.

HELP - I'm tied down to dial modes.!I'm their slave.My camera is ruling me.I want to get back to putting my strong focus on photographing ... connecting,even getting fancy,-expressing my personality... .

Guess I'm asking ; Hey,any of you guys know how to make this camera sing ? !

Please , some of you guys tell how you get the most out of your camera(note; the D5000 seems to be an extra challange).Namely the key areas ; nice crisp,clear,excellent resilution,contrast,color and sharpness - etc.

Also , everyone(D5000),I'd love to see alot more D5000 photos,especially in the 'art,landscape,creative and advanced'type.

I appreciate Nikinian. Thanks , Larry. Some Grand Circle-SW National Parks photos ;

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question on working of D5000
MEMcD Moderator
12th Nov 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
12th Nov 2009
MEMcD Moderator
12th Nov 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
19th Nov 2009
Douglass Moody
23rd Nov 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 12-Nov-09 05:39 AM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question on working of D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Larry,

I don't have a D5000 and have only briefly held one, but will try to answer your question.
From what you describe your problem seems to be with the default
Picture controls: Color Mode, Saturation, and Sharpening.
If you check the Exif data (Color Mode, Saturation, and Sharpening) of an image captured using Landscape exposure mode and write them down. Then place the camera in P,S,A,or M exposure mode. Go into the camera Shooting menu under Picture Controls and adjust them to match those that you found in the Exif data. This should provide more of the "Pop" you are looking for.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Thu 12-Nov-09 03:04 PM
2304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question on working of D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I will try that , thank you. I think what you are telling me is ... to shoot a general, nice day,outdoor photo in dial-Landscape mode.Then download it to computer , and look up all the picture info.

Then I'll have the exact info to add to "A" in picture control.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 12-Nov-09 05:34 PM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question on working of D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Larry,

That is what I was thinking.
I just looked at a pdf copy of the D5000 User Manual.
The D5000 has 6 preset Picture Controls for use in P,S,A,or M exposure modes. One of them may be what you are looking for.
You can also modify an existing Picture Control to suit your taste or create a Custom Picture Control. See pages 106-113 in the D5000 User Manual.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Thu 19-Nov-09 09:49 PM
#4. "RE: Question on working of D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Been practicing in the back yard ... with modes en such.

Like;shoot main shot in (dial) landscape mode - as the base exposure to compare to.

Then I switch to "A" mode and try Ls,Pt and Vi.

I did set up one custom mode ; "A" + SD + many run throughs adjustments.Best turned out good,slightly duller,less intence.I kept it as my C-1.

So far for me ... the dial modes (landscape and no flash)are best.With limited ISO and preset larger apperatures than I like to use.

Next best for me , till I learn more,is "A" +Ls,then "A" +Pt , and lastly my C-1 being "A"+SD-custom.

I'll post some of the backyard photos that turned out best.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Douglass Moody Registered since 22nd Nov 2009Mon 23-Nov-09 02:44 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question on working of D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Larry,

The "A" setting on your Mode dial is for Aperture Priority, where you can select the desired f-stop (such as f/11). All other settings remain automatic. You can choose to view your aperture choices through the eyepiece or on the monitor, as you turn the Command dial located on the upper-right backside.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #863 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.