Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8622
View in linear mode

Subject: "Buying a Camera" Previous topic | Next topic
photoheron Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 08:55 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Buying a Camera"

Fort Smith, US

I am the process of deciding which Nikon camera I am going to purchase between a D3200 or the D5100.

My question is to purchase the body only add a different lens or to purchase it as a kit?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Buying a Camera
Asgard Administrator
28th Aug 2013
photoheron
28th Aug 2013
JosephK Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
photoheron
29th Aug 2013
JosephK Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
MEMcD Moderator
29th Aug 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
photoheron
29th Aug 2013
Alchemistt99 Gold Member
29th Aug 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
31st Aug 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 28-Aug-13 09:54 PM
51190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Which lenses do you already have ?

Which camera do you have now ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

photoheron Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 10:51 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 1

Fort Smith, US

I currently do not have a DSLR or any lens. I'm starting from scratch.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 28-Aug-13 10:56 PM
4493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

What subjects are you thinking about shooting?
Under what lighting conditions do you think you will be shooting at?
How much photography experience do you have?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

photoheron Registered since 05th Jun 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 01:21 AM
#4. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 3

Fort Smith, US

I have used flim SLRs and DSLRs. I would consider myself an advanced amateur. My photography is generally everyday, nature especially birds, overall nature. I rarely shoot in low light.
I currently do not have a camera or any lens, I am starting from scratch. Is want to build a small system.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 29-Aug-13 02:15 AM
4493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

In that case, the 18-XXmm kit lens will probably do you OK for the general photography and landscape shots. A pricey alternative would be the 16-85mm.

For birds you will want something with reach, 300mm at the minimum. I would go with the 70-300mm VR as to not break the bank, but you will probably want more length eventually.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 29-Aug-13 02:58 AM
26118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bradley,

The kits (body + lens) are usually close to the same price for a body only. Therefore you are getting the 18-55mm VR for free or at a substancial discount compared to buying them separately. That said, getting the kit makes the most sense.

Best Regards,
Marty

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 29-Aug-13 02:35 PM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 29-Aug-13 05:09 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

You are making a decision between the 3200 and 5100. You might want to check out one of the later additions to the "D5100 or D5200?" thread. In it, the poster mentions a blog where he compares a 5100 with a 5200. Since the 3200 seems to have a "better" sensor than the 5100, there may be other things better as well. He mentions a number of things that I have never seen discussed here. So you might want to make a note of these things and then do a comparison of the 3200 and 5100 based on these things. The 3200 might actually be a better choice than the 5100 even without considering any price difference.

As far as kit lenses go, the 18-55 that I got with my 5100 is a very nice lens. Some kits come with more than one lens.

What kind of birds do you want to shoot? Geese, hawks, eagles etc that are some distance away or small birds that are perched or flying. I use a 5100 with a Sigma 150-500 to shoot small birds flying toward a feeder. For this I zone focus and run the camera on full auto. There have been a number of times in which the bird's head was coming into the frame in one pic and his tail is flying out of the frame in the next pic. I understand the 3200 has a 5 fps rate while the 5100 has only 4 fps. That might make a difference in that situation. Also, with the higher pixel density of the 3200, you might be able to get away with a smaller lens and then crop tighter to get the same picture.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

photoheron Registered since 05th Jun 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 07:26 PM
#9. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 7

Fort Smith, US

I want to learn to grab shots of birds in flight such as hawks, geese, shorebirds. I also want to photograph stationary birds in trees also.

From the various posts it is better not overbuy on a body with features that I would not use. Use that savings towards lens.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm going learn as much as possible about the various cameras before purchasing.

Alchemistt99 Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 05:59 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Rennes, FR

Everyone will give you several ideas! But it mostly comes down to cost.

I'm enjoying my D3200 with my sigma 18-250mm lens. As a beginner I will say this that I find it a great camera for dslr beginners. For me the D5200 is also a great camera. I might suggest a package as buying everything individually can be pretty pricey.

check this guy out

http://stores.ebay.ca/Cameta-Camera

He is reputable and his refurbished cameras as very good.

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 04:50 PM
3051 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Buying a Camera"
In response to Reply # 8

McEwen, US

I would strongly recommend that you get the D3200.

For purposes of photographing birds, you will often NOT be able to get as close as you want. The larger number of pixels on the D3200 sensor will allow you to crop way down and still get a good image.

Also for birds you need really fast shutter speeds. Under ideal conditions you can get those, but with less than great light you will need to turn up the ISO to keep the shutter speed up. The D3200 has excellent high ISO performance.

As others said, the 18-55 mm kit lens is a great lens for general and landscape photography. The next lens I bought was the 55-300 and it is a good next step. It will allow you to zoom in on more distant landscape features that you can't get otherwise, and is also good for bird photography if you can get close enough. It's also nice for portraits at about 80-100 mm.

If you find that the 55-300 lens is not enough for your purposes, the Sigma 150-500 is a highly regarded birding lens at a moderate cost.

But my advice is to start with the basic lens and see where you are limited by it, then add as you see what will fit your photography style.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8622 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.