Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8595
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 5200 problem" Previous topic | Next topic
HuTom Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2013Thu 22-Aug-13 06:04 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 5200 problem"

US

I have a new 5200 and a Nikon 105 Micro on it. My photos have horizontal lines in the out of focus background, usually dark green or black in color. The lines are narrow and are alternating variations in brightness. Does anyone know what the problem is. Should I return the 5200, which I've had about 2 or 3 weeks?

The problem was noticed by me in the processing (Lightroom, Bridge and Photoshop CS 5), but also in my showing at our local photo club meeting last night.

Example photo attached.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 23-Aug-13 04:38 PM
2888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 5200 problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi HuTom and welcome to Nikonian's. Since you have no responses yet maybe no one has seen the problem. So lets give it a try. But first a couple questions.

Is this the whole photo or a crop? While the photo is very small I can still see the lines but if I copy the photo and look at 200% the lines are quite clear. I also think the lines are in the in focus areas as well.

What memory card are you using, brand and specs?

How much sharpening is applied?

What size and quality was the photo taken? Do you see it when shooting raw?

I don't have a D5200 but I haven't seen the problem with any of my high resolution bodies like the D3200, D5100, D800 or D3X.

My first suggestion would be to try another memory card.

By the way when posting a photo for evaluation you should post a larger photo. I normally like to post a size of 900 pixels on the long side and then save from photoshop so the overall file size is around 280K. That's about an 8 quality when saving in CS5.

Len

HuTom Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2013Sun 25-Aug-13 09:35 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 5200 problem"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Len. A lot of questions and hopefully I’ve answered them below.

Is this the whole photo or a crop? - - A crop
Lines are in the in focus areas as well. - - Yes
What memory card are you using, brand and specs? - - SanDisk Extreme SDHC 8GB
How much sharpening is applied? - - Some in Raw, and then some in Perfect Resize, same as I always do, but this is a very new problem.
What size and quality was the photo taken? - - Highest quality for Nikon NEF/RAW - size was set and is 25.2 MB
Do you see it when shooting raw? - - I always shoot only in RAW, and yes you see it, but only my Lightroom or the Nikon editing program shows NEF. So I now export it in TIFF.

I’m attaching two photos (if I’m lucky). The columbine was shot with my Nikon D 5100 and my 55 – 300 zoom lens. The everlasting and bee with my new Nikon D 5200 and 105 Macro.

I wasn't lucky although the files I tried to upload were 900x643 Pixels in jpeg.

Tom Davis

HuTom Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2013Sun 25-Aug-13 10:44 PM
#3. "RE: Nikon 5200 problem"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I'll try again.

Tom

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 25-Aug-13 11:54 PM
2888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon 5200 problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

Tom, It looks like the camera has a problem and has nothing to do with what you're doing. The D5100 photo is fine. If you get the same problem with another card then the camera should be exchanged or repaired or whatever you can do. I haven't seen another report on this forum for this so it may be an uncommon problem.

Len

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8595 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.