nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #858
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about Manual Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
bryant1976 Registered since 14th Oct 2009Thu 12-Nov-09 03:13 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about Manual Mode"

US

Hello all! I'm brand new to the site, so please forgive my infant knowledge of my D5000 and DSLR's in general. My question is about making changes to the other manual modes...do those changes affect the mode of "M". I think it does because today I changed the f-stop and saw that it had changed it when I took it back to "M". If this is the case, then I'm only scratching the surface of what this camera can do...and that's a little intimidating. The only things I've done with it in Manual so far is change the Shutter and the ISO. I'm really sorry to ask such a newbie-type question, but I really want to learn this thing. Thanks in advance!!!

By the way, I have the lens that came with the camera body (VR 18-55). I also have a NIKOR(sp.) 55-200 (non VR...probably a cheapie, but it came with it as well...I think it sells for $249). Thanks again!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 12-Nov-09 03:56 AM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Question about Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I think you're asking if changes made in one mode affect other modes. That is definitely true in many cases. For example, if you're in M (full manual mode), and you set the aperture to f/11. If you now switch to Aperture preferred mode (A), it will take your request for f/11. If you had set the shutter speed while in M mode, that will be retained if you switch to shutter preferred mode. In A mode, a shutter speed setting is ignored because A mode operates explicitly by you setting an aperture and the camera choosing the corresponding shutter speed. Similarly in S, the shutter speed is accepted from your input and the corresponding aperture is selected, so any aperture setting you may have made in M mode is ignored.

And ISO changed in one mode will certainly affect ISO in all most if not all of the other modes too.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

bryant1976 Registered since 14th Oct 2009Thu 12-Nov-09 04:25 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks blw. That explains why I was seeing some things change and others not change. I'll search for a full definition of each of the manual modes so that I can know when to change for each instance of a picture. I'll continue doing research and hopefully will get better. I've taken some pretty awesome pictures with the camera, but am not sure if I'm supposed to upload a compressed version of the picture or the actual 5 to 6 MB picture. Anyway, thanks again!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 12-Nov-09 06:53 AM
26998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Here is the maximum image size allowed to be posted in the forums:
3.5. In the forums, we suggest you limit the image size to no more than 900 pixels on the longest side. This is to accommodate those who have smaller monitors, members who have monitors set at low display resolutions and those not on broad band Internet connections or in remote areas of the globe.

3.6. In the forums, there is a maximum 150KByte limit to each image posted, and you will get an error message trying to upload any bigger image file. This makes for a better experience for dial up users and helps keep network traffic costs down.

Example of re-sizing process to reach under 150KB from Photoshop (similar process in other tools):
a. Open your file.
b. Image > Image Size
Set the longer dimension to 900 Pixels (maximum) and resolution to 72 or 96 pixels/inch.
c. File > Save for Web Option
d. Verify file size (or set to under 150KByte)
e. Save as a jpg type file
You can find more information in the Terms of Use at the following link: http://www.nikonians.org/html/about/terms_of_use.html
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

bryant1976 Registered since 14th Oct 2009Thu 12-Nov-09 06:01 PM
#4. "RE: Question about Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Hi Jason,
>
>Welcome to Nikonians!
>Here is the maximum image size allowed to be posted in the
>forums:
>3.5. In the forums, we suggest you limit the image size to no
>more than 900 pixels on the longest side. This is to
>accommodate those who have smaller monitors, members who have
>monitors set at low display resolutions and those not on broad
>band Internet connections or in remote areas of the globe.
>
>3.6. In the forums, there is a maximum 150KByte limit to each
>image posted, and you will get an error message trying to
>upload any bigger image file. This makes for a better
>experience for dial up users and helps keep network traffic
>costs down.
>
>Example of re-sizing process to reach under 150KB from
>Photoshop (similar process in other tools):
>a. Open your file.
>b. Image > Image Size
>Set the longer dimension to 900 Pixels (maximum) and
>resolution to 72 or 96 pixels/inch.
>c. File > Save for Web Option
>d. Verify file size (or set to under 150KByte)
>e. Save as a jpg type file
>You can find more information in the Terms of Use at the
>following link:
>http://www.nikonians.org/html/about/terms_of_use.html
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Thank you! Very much appreciated!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #858 Previous topic | Next topic