Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8563
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon d5100 with a Kowa TSN-661" Previous topic | Next topic
buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sun 04-Aug-13 08:26 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon d5100 with a Kowa TSN-661"

US

I have a good spotting scope, a Kowa TSN-661. Is there an adapter for it that would fit my Nikon d5100? Yes, I realize everything becomes manual at that point, but this thing does 60:1. with about 50 FOV at 600 yards.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sun 04-Aug-13 08:43 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon d5100 with a Kowa TSN-661"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 04-Aug-13 08:44 PM by buffumjr

US

Found a Brit website that discusses
Kowa TSN-DA1 Digital Camera Adapter

but it alludes to "rings and adapters" that I would also need, but doesn't fill in the blanks.

Anyone out there actually DONE this?

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Mon 05-Aug-13 07:03 PM
#2. "RE: Nikon d5100 with a Kowa TSN-661"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Heard from a Brit website called Ace Camera.

Quote from their email

Hello John,

You would need a Kowa 800mm photo adaptor , this would be 1200mm f13.3 on
your Nikon D5100 because of the cropped sensor, these are however
discontinued but we do have a boxed second hand one for £129 . You would
also need a Nikon t-Mount these we have for £16 .
You would only be able to use your camera in manual or A aperture priority ,
as there is no other apertures to set, the only way to change shutter speeds
is to alter the ISO settings.
This said it is a lot cheaper than any large lens and the images are very
good ( I have used it myself with my older Nikon D200 .

Regards
Mark

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 06-Aug-13 02:38 AM
26533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon d5100 with a Kowa TSN-661"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi John,

>You would only be able to use your camera in manual or A
>aperture priority ,as there is no other apertures to set, the only >way to change shutter speeds is to alter the ISO settings.
>This said it is a lot cheaper than any large lens and the
>images are very
>good ( I have used it myself with my older Nikon D200 .

While it will work in Aperture priority mode when mounted on a D200, which supports metering with non-CPU lenses, it will only work in Manual exposure mode with Manual focusing when mounted on your D5100.
At f/13.3 focusing manually will be difficult in all but bright daylight ambient conditions.

Best Regards,
Marty

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Mon 02-Sep-13 01:48 AM
#4. "RE: Nikon d5100 with a Kowa TSN-661"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Aha! He said.

So, I should save the bucks. Better to get a camera lens. Too bad. The Kowa is a nice piece of glass.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8563 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.