Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8534
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need long cable release" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Registered since 28th Sep 2011Fri 26-Jul-13 11:33 AM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need long cable release"
Fri 26-Jul-13 11:34 AM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

Most of my shots with a D5100 are made in continuous mode. I need to be able to get away from the camera but the Nikon cable release is only 1 meter long. I don't see any with longer wires or any extension wires. Does anyone know of a sourse of long cable releases - say 3 to 5 meters? The infrared only allows single shots.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need long cable release
blw Moderator
26th Jul 2013
grnzbra
26th Jul 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
26th Jul 2013
grnzbra
27th Jul 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
27th Jul 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
27th Jul 2013
blw Moderator
27th Jul 2013
ned2021
28th Jul 2013
ned2021
29th Jul 2013
grnzbra
29th Jul 2013
grnzbra
29th Jul 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 26-Jul-13 05:25 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

A third party radio remote - some of them - will allow multiple shots. Unfortunately I don't know which ones do and don't on a D5100. I am pretty sure that the Hahnel that I have does NOT, but I think that the Yongnuo ones that I don't have will do multiple shots. (I have the Yongnuo 603, and it does do multiple shots on my D2x/D3. This is the same RF tranceiver pair used for a D5100, but with a different cable - so I think it would work, but don't know as I don't have any of those class of camera.) The RF remotes are pretty cool, because they generally make for a cleaner experience. Now I can plug in the RF receiver module and actually leave the transmitter in my pocket and trigger it from there! No leaving it somewhere, no needing to having the IR transmitter dangling around my neck, no worrying about line of sight, or distance. (Both the Hahnel and Yongnuo work from at least 150 feet, which is the diagonal distance across an equestrian ring.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

grnzbra Registered since 28th Sep 2011Fri 26-Jul-13 07:06 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 1

Springfield, US

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid the expense of wireless, but it sounds like it would really be the way to go. Does your unit fire and fire again and fire again, thus firing a series of single shots or does it use the camera's Continuous mode and apply a steady fire signal to the camera. (Or does it, in the single shot mode, just fire a pulse, no matter how long the button is held). I would expect that if it applied a steady fire signal as long as the button is held, the camera's Continuous mode would work the same as when I hold the button on the Nikon wired remote.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 26-Jul-13 11:08 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 26-Jul-13 11:10 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I just bought the MU-1a Module for my 3200 (only $70) works great with my iPad and iPhone. will allow taking of pictures using it as a remote. The range is about 30-40 feet

The version 5100-5200 is b version.

Nikon also makes the software for android type devices as well.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/

grnzbra Registered since 28th Sep 2011Sat 27-Jul-13 12:52 AM
#4. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 27-Jul-13 01:12 AM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

Thank you. Does it allow the camera to fire continuously as long as the button is held the way a cable release does?

I just checked it out. Unfortunately, it says it will only take one shot each time the button is pressed. I need continuous shots.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 27-Jul-13 07:53 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 27-Jul-13 07:55 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

There is a remote control that works by using two IR window on the camera, one in front and and Rear (maybe the same on you camera) ML-L3

I have this. It has limited range line of sight for Infrared. It should as long as you hold the Button Down and have the camera set for continuous keep shooting:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ML-L3-Wireless-Remote-Control/dp/B00007EDZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374954347&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+infrared+remote

I bought the wireless remote The WU-1A because it also has the ability to download pictures as soon as they are taken.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 27-Jul-13 08:12 PM
2888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

In the Mode options on the D5100 you can choose continuos or the IR remote but not both at the same time. They are separate choices on the same menu. The D3200 is the same way.

Len

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 27-Jul-13 11:17 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> I was hoping to avoid the expense of wireless

LOL, my 603's cost me a whopping $30. For the pair.

> I would expect that if it applied a steady fire signal as long as the button is held

That's what they do on my 10-pin connectors, it would seem reasonable to think that they would do the same thing with the other connector.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ned2021 Registered since 02nd Jul 2013Sun 28-Jul-13 06:18 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 7

CA

Got this on eBay last month and I just tested it on my D3100 and it does continuous. It's the MC-DC2 remote cable. The cable is about 3 feet long. Between $2 and $4 on eBay but could be found almost anywhere . Nikon sells it for about $35 on their Website. The only problem is, I got it from China so............... about 1 month for shipping:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Remote-cord-control-cable-for-Nikon-D3100-D7000-MC-DC2-/180631537667?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item2a0e7a8803

Jean.

ned2021 Registered since 02nd Jul 2013Mon 29-Jul-13 10:09 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

Just checked my wireless Commlite ComTrig T320 and works great on continuous. I bought mine on eBay $32.99 shipped:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Commlite-ComTrig-T320-Auto-sensing-Flash-Trigger-for-Canon-Nikon-1C-Remote-Cable-/140890713500?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item20cdbdad9c

China again.

grnzbra Registered since 28th Sep 2011Mon 29-Jul-13 11:49 AM
#10. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 8

Springfield, US

That's what I have now.

grnzbra Registered since 28th Sep 2011Mon 29-Jul-13 11:51 AM
#11. "RE: Need long cable release"
In response to Reply # 10

Springfield, US

Thanks for the suggestions. My first look at wireless was on the nikon site and I think they wanted $200+ for theirs. I'll check out the ones you all have mentioned.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8534 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.