Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8491
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can you advise of a simple file renamer?" Previous topic | Next topic
Tomexx Registered since 19th Jul 2013Fri 19-Jul-13 05:06 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can you advise of a simple file renamer?"
Fri 19-Jul-13 05:09 PM by Tomexx

CA

Hi,
New to DSLR photography and Nikonians.

Just moved from a Panasonic point and shoot to the D3200 and I love it. I can not believe how much functionality they're putting into modern day "beginner DSLRs".

I'm still learning the settings and mostly shooting in one of the Auto modes.

I noticed a very annoying feature of Nikons and that is the file naming. Specifically resetting the file name to DSC_0001 when a new folder is created. This is beyond stupid. It unnecessarily creates the need for a file renamer. All the previous cameras that I had would keep the sequence even when new folders were created.
(For example my old panasonic would go from P1000999 in folder P100 to P1010001 in folder P101). Not the D3200.

However, no point crying over spilled milk, so the question is: Can you recommend a simple/small/free software that would be flexible enough to allow me to rename files to YYYYMMDD-nnn (nnn would be a shot number within a specific day and would reset to 001 on the first shot of the next day).

BTW,
I would prefer to stay away from ViewNX2 or any other multi-purpose software. Ideally I would like a small utility that I could carry with me on USB stick.

Thanks,
Tom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?
briantilley Moderator
19th Jul 2013
Tomexx
19th Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
19th Jul 2013
briantilley Moderator
19th Jul 2013
JonK Moderator
19th Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
19th Jul 2013
Tomexx
19th Jul 2013
JosephK Silver Member
20th Jul 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 19-Jul-13 05:21 PM
29150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Tom

I'm not sure about software to recommend, but you can set up the D3200 to use consecutive file numbers rather than starting from 0001 when a new folder is created. Check the Setup Menu, and set File Number Sequence to "On".

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Tomexx Registered since 19th Jul 2013Fri 19-Jul-13 05:53 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Thanks Brian, I did set it to ON, but the numbering only goes to DSC_9999 in the current folder, then the new folder will be created and the next pic will be named DSC_0001.

From the manual:

When a new folder is created, the memory card formatted, or a new memory card inserted in the camera, file numbering continues from the last number used or from the largest file number in the current folder, whichever is higher. If a photograph is taken when the current folder contains a photograph numbered 9999, a new folder will be created automatically and file numbering will begin again from 0001.

Tom

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 19-Jul-13 06:41 PM
26437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Tom,

Consider that 9999 images is more than most users shoot in a year and many don't shoot that many in two years.
On the other hand Pro's can easily shoot that in a weekend.
Storing images in multiple folders by date, event, and image # makes it very fast and easy to find an image in your system. The higher the number of images that you store in one folder, the longer it will take for the computer to generate a thumbnail (small, or large icon) for you to review.

Best Regards,
Marty

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 19-Jul-13 06:48 PM
29150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

OK - that's a different thing. Nikon DSLR's all use 4 digits in their file names, so the number has to start again at 0001 after 9999 is reached.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 19-Jul-13 06:05 PM
4869 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

If you use a Mac, Renamer is $20. A Google search will find a bunch of free or shareware apps for the PC, some with reviews.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 19-Jul-13 06:23 PM
26437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D3200.
Changing the File Number Sequence to On in the camera menu as Brian wrote above should solve your problem.
Enjoy your new Camera!

Best Regards,
Marty

Tomexx Registered since 19th Jul 2013Fri 19-Jul-13 07:14 PM
#7. "RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Thanks guys.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 20-Jul-13 03:29 AM
4628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

If you are a Windows user, Downloader Pro by BreezeSys.com is exactly what you are looking for, not free but $30. I am a long-time user of it.

I run all my cameras with "file number sequence" set to ON and manually reset the number back to 1 before every shoot. Downloader Pro renames the files to yyyymmdd_nnnn (amongst other things) as it copies the pictures off the memory cards based on the EXIF creation date.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8491 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.