nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Can you advise of a simple file renamer?

Tomexx

CA
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tomexx Registered since 19th Jul 2013
Fri 19-Jul-13 05:06 PM | edited Fri 19-Jul-13 05:09 PM by Tomexx

Hi,
New to DSLR photography and Nikonians.

Just moved from a Panasonic point and shoot to the D3200 and I love it. I can not believe how much functionality they're putting into modern day "beginner DSLRs".

I'm still learning the settings and mostly shooting in one of the Auto modes.

I noticed a very annoying feature of Nikons and that is the file naming. Specifically resetting the file name to DSC_0001 when a new folder is created. This is beyond stupid. It unnecessarily creates the need for a file renamer. All the previous cameras that I had would keep the sequence even when new folders were created.
(For example my old panasonic would go from P1000999 in folder P100 to P1010001 in folder P101). Not the D3200.

However, no point crying over spilled milk, so the question is: Can you recommend a simple/small/free software that would be flexible enough to allow me to rename files to YYYYMMDD-nnn (nnn would be a shot number within a specific day and would reset to 001 on the first shot of the next day).

BTW,
I would prefer to stay away from ViewNX2 or any other multi-purpose software. Ideally I would like a small utility that I could carry with me on USB stick.

Thanks,
Tom

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Can you advise of a simple file renamer?

G