Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8471
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR lens VR" Previous topic | Next topic
nivass Registered since 26th May 2013Tue 16-Jul-13 01:46 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR lens VR"

US

Hi All,

Does Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR lens has to be used with Tripod alwasy ?. As it doesn't have VR feature, how it is going to handle the handshakes during shooting.
Just wanted to know why prime lens doesn't have VR.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 16-Jul-13 02:42 AM
26070 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR lens VR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kiran,

>Does Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR lens has to be used with
>Tripod alwasy ?.

No! Long before VR was even a thought, 50mm lenses were being used handheld by everyone. Even by beginners since 50mm lenses were the the most common focal length for kit lens up until about 25 years ago.

>As it doesn't have VR feature, how it is
>going to handle the handshakes during shooting.

Assuming that you are shooting a DX body, If you use a shutter speed of 1/80th sec. or faster with your 50mm lens you shouldn't have a problem with blur due to hand shake.

The Rule of Thumb is for a DX body is:
Minimum Shutter Speed = 1/1.5 x focal length of the lens.

>Just wanted to know why prime lens doesn't have VR.

The 50mm f/1.8 has a 3 1/3rd stop advantage over the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 at 50mm. 3 stops will allow you to use a shutter speed 8 times faster than you could use with the 18-55mm with the same ISO.
In other words if you were shooting at 1/60th sec. @ f/5.6 using the 18-55mm you could shoot at 1/640th sec. @ f/1.8.
All of new (introduces since about 2005) primes 200mm and longer do have VR.

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 16-Jul-13 02:53 AM
3093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR lens VR"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

As the lens focal length becomes wider the effect of camera shake on the photo becomes less. So generally if you use a shutter speed that is 1/1.5 x focal length or 1/2 x focal length then camera shake will not be a problem. Under these conditions you see that the telephoto lenses are more susceptible to camera shake and are more likely to be found in the longer lenses. With the very good ISO performance of today's dslr's it's fairly easy to shoot at shutter speeds above this minimum just by raising the ISO and in the case of a very fast lens like the 50mm f1.8 lens to use a wider aperture. I very seldom use a tripod on lenses shorter than about 300mm if the lighting is good.

You will find that the newer DX kit lenses have VR. This is because the newer high resolution cameras will show camera shake easier than the older cameras with lower MP sensors. I also think that these new high resolution DX cameras are more likely to be used by newer photographers that may not have yet perfected their shooting skills and may be more likely to have camera shake.

I hope this was a clear explanation.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Sasquatch519 Registered since 26th Mar 2013Mon 22-Jul-13 02:15 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR lens VR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't know all the technicalities, but I own this lens and I can use it without a tripod provided there is good enough light. I need the tripod when shooting low-light stuff, but that's true of all my lenses including ones with VR.

------------------------------
Nikon D5100
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
SB-700 AF Speedlight

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8471 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.