Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8431
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pawn Shop d5000. How Do I Evaluate?" Previous topic | Next topic
buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Mon 08-Jul-13 12:38 AM
168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pawn Shop d5000. How Do I Evaluate?"

US

I have a line on a d5000 at a pawn shop. It has been there awhile. What tests should I put it through to determine if it's ok to buy it? It comes with the 18-55mm "kit" lens.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Pawn Shop d5000. How Do I Evaluate?
MEMcD Moderator
08th Jul 2013
buffumjr
08th Jul 2013
buffumjr
08th Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
08th Jul 2013
buffumjr
09th Jul 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Jul-13 01:12 AM
25010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pawn Shop d5000. How Do I Evaluate?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Here is Checklist for a new / used DSLR that you might find helpful.

Best Regards,
Marty

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Mon 08-Jul-13 01:35 AM
168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pawn Shop d5000. How Do I Evaluate?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you.

Add to that, from Colonial Photo and Hobby, Orlando, FL, to go to a dark part of the store, set the camnera on AUTO, focus on something and snap a picture. The popup flash should pop up and flash.

Go through the menus. If any error messages come up, thank them for their time, and look at other things.

Pawn shops are always a thrill. Some are tolerant of DOA, but some stick by the Oklahoma Guarantee. "It's guaranteed to be a camera." None other applies. Caveat emptor.

But ooooh the prices.

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Mon 08-Jul-13 11:45 AM
#3. "RE: Pawn Shop d5000. How Do I Evaluate?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Just for your info, the stated price of the camera is $499, but I intend to offer $250, and walk or buy at $300. As I said, it's been there awhile. In Amazon and Ebay, that's what they're selling for, used.

Because you're assuming all risk on the purchase, NEVER offer the sticker price. If they get insistant (We gotta have ... ), remember, there are the online stores, with low prices, and a robust return policy. Pawn shops don't care if you badmouth them. The online stores are very sensitive to that. That having been said, it becomes your duty to become somewhat of an expert, because, when you're standing there, its just you and the salesman. It is not gauche, or a sin to just walk away.

Thank you for helping arm me for the conversation with the salesman.

But ooooooh the prices. And they have stuff you just won't see in stores!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Jul-13 02:16 PM
25010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Pawn Shop d5000. How Do I Evaluate?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi John,

Very true!
Buyer BeWare!
Good Luck on the haggling.

Best Regards,
Marty

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 09-Jul-13 12:54 AM
#5. "RE: Pawn Shop d5000. How Do I Evaluate?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I actually printed out the checklist. Been reading it over and over.

If the pawn shop doesn't work out, Amazon and Ebay have d5000 and the occasional d5100 at my price. That will leave me free to get the Tamron 18-270 with VC, used, and a "nifty fifty". Both of those at a brick and mortar store, with 90 day guarantee. That, plus a camera bag from Amazon, and I'll be set.

By Sep 30, I'll be ready to move up from my point and shoot. Excited.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8431 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.