Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8413
View in linear mode

Subject: "just bought a nikon d3100" Previous topic | Next topic
lueyh Registered since 01st Jul 2013Wed 03-Jul-13 05:54 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"just bought a nikon d3100"

altadena, US

I am happy to announce that i have bought my first camera. as the title states its a Nikon D3100. it has a 16 gig sd card and a 18-55mm lens. I will be using it to get some pics at Comic-Con in San Diego in a couple weeks.

any useful info for a newb to get some decent shots, or should I just leave it on auto?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: just bought a nikon d3100
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Jul 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
Covey22 Moderator
03rd Jul 2013
Lolrogge Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
rader9
03rd Jul 2013
JosephK Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
05th Jul 2013
Skyco Silver Member
11th Jul 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 06:06 PM
25969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Luis,

Congratulations on your new D3100.
I suggest that you read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.
It will help get you up and running in Manual exposure mode.
You should also read some of the articles in the Nikonians Resource section.
There are many on Camera Basics > Fundamentals > like On Handholding Technique, Understanding DOF & Aperture & Shutter Speed Relationships, etc.....

Best Regards,
Marty

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 03-Jul-13 06:38 PM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 05-Jul-13 01:34 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

Congrats. Good luck.

Be aware that the kit lens you have will focus down to about 9 inches, so you can get some neat "macro" shots.

Don't know if the 3100 does this but the 5100 does. When you use the built in flash, it automatically runs the ISO through the roof resulting in very noisy pix which should not have been. I found the menu setting (you'll have to look; I don't remember where it is) that limits how far the camera can run up the ISO by itself and limited it to 800.

Keep in mind that you are not paying for film and developing, so experiment in manual modes and get a feel for what works for you.

See if the Nikon site has a downloadable pdf of the entire manual. As you look around here, you will find people referring others to a particular page in the manual only to have others not having that page because they've downloaded an abreviated copy of the manual.

Look at things from weird angles. Surprised a group of students when I lay flat on the ground in order to get a pic of the group and the entire dome of the capital in DC. Years ago, I was crawling under fences at Niagara Falls to get some dramatic shots. Parking garage roofs offer some interresting views. Shapes, colors, lines.

Oh, yeah! Don't forget about the video capability.

Enjoy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 03-Jul-13 06:46 PM
10632 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Congratulations!

It's a very good camera and lens combination.

Auto takes away a bit too much control. Try using P(rogram) mode which will instill enough control with the camera but gives you some back to make creative and technical decisions. I know it's tedious, but I strongly urge you to read through the manual and understand the controls - both physical and software (menu) related. Since Comic Con is mostly indoors (although somewhat well-lit), remember to use the pop-up flash to fire a bit of fill light.

In parallel, your settings will also be dictated by your choice in Post-Processing. All photos benefit from some optimization on the computer following capture in the camera. If you are just starting out and don't have a preference, consider managing your photos through View NX2 (which should come with the camera, otherwise available for download via Nikon) until you have a better idea of what you want to do.

Good luck and be sure to share your results.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Thu 04-Jul-13 01:26 AM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 3

Ayden, US

I second the suggestion of P(rogram) instead of Auto. Another good option is A(perture Preferred) mode. As you read through the manual, I suggest you experiment. Then you can decide on the mode that works best for you.

Laverne

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberSat 06-Jul-13 06:40 PM
1089 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 5

Hamilton, US

I also agree a good place to start for a beginner is (P)rogram mode. You can always adjust both aperture and shutter speed in (P) mode to experiment, as well as exposure compensation. As you get more confidence with setting exposure, many photographers graduate to (A)perture mode, where you can control depth of field more readily than in (P) mode. The disadvantage of (P) mode is that it often sets exposure settings with the lens wide open, which is not always the way to get the sharpest images.

Your have been given lots of good suggestions about reading. I'll also emphasize that the most important thing to learn is setting exposure. Even with excellent matrix metering in Nikon cameras, you have to always be thinking about subject exposure and you can tweak that with the compensation dial.

Cheers.

rader9 Registered since 03rd Jul 2013Wed 03-Jul-13 11:45 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Osoyoos, CA

Congrats hope you have a long and enjoyable time with this camera. Suggest you might want to read up on initial setup and menus try this www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100/users-guide// lots of tips here for beginners.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 04-Jul-13 09:31 AM
4376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

After a quick glance, Rockwell's suggestions might need a large grain of salt if you don't know why he picks what he does.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Thu 04-Jul-13 02:23 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Congratulations!
The D3100 was my first DSLR. You will become very fond of that camera body. It has a qreat sensor and a lot of "Bang for the Buck". You will be pleased with the detail that camera offers.
Take LOTS of pictures... of everything. You will get used to the controls and what works (and doesn't) for you.
Lots of helpful tips on YouTube from many sources. ...a lot for beginners.
Most of all - HAVE FUN. That is a fantastic camera to carry around all the time. It's light and compact and once you're familiar with exposure, you will like the control the manual mode gives you over the pictures you take. The more you shoot, the easier it will become.
Be sure to post some of your pix on this site, and take a look at the other's galleries. It will give you lots of ideas on what to shoot and how to frame a shot.
I'm very excited for you, because I know how much fun that camera was for me.
Good luck and looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Bob

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Fri 05-Jul-13 10:26 PM
3008 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Go HERE

and download the COMPLETE user's manual for your camera. It may also be on one of the CD's that came with the camera, I don't recall. The printed one that came with it is very incomplete.

Read all of it. To get started, skip over the parts about the guide menu and video recording.

I also recommend the book Nikon D3100 for Dummies if you don't much much about exposure, etc. It's very well written.

And do your reading on this great site!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Thu 11-Jul-13 02:29 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: just bought a nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Roanoke Island, US

Hi Luis,

If you haven't checked out the D3100 Digitutor here is a link. It gives a good tour of using the D3100.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Assets/Digital-SLR/2010/25472-Nikon-D3100/Video/digitutor/index.html

For me I found "Auto" to give some surprising and unpleasant results - often "Auto" was fine - sometimes great. The D3100 has great dynamic range and thats where I think "Auto" worked best - but use your focus points well and experiment, practice so you know what to expect from your shooting.

I strongly suggest reading as much as you can about the camera and shooting the heck out of it to get used to how it works and learn what works for you. Back in the days of film I always shot manual. However, the D3100 only has one command wheel so changing aperture requires some dexterity.

The "kit" lens that comes with the D3100 has excellent optics - and focuses very close.

I hope this helps. Its been over a year since I shot with the D3100. I found it to be a very great camera for the money.

Well wishes,
I hope you enjoy your photography

Ken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

"Humans don't rise to the occasion. Instead, we fall to our level of training and experience". Archilochus, a Greek soldier and poet.
The best photo advice I ever received was at a John Shaw workshop. "... Practice your craft... ... Pixels are free...Practice... experiment with your camera".

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8413 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.