Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8406
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D3100 and D5200 wont set WB" Previous topic | Next topic
blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 08:24 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D3100 and D5200 wont set WB"

US

I have 2 cameras in a class I am teaching, both cameras will not set WB to a greycard. I get into settings, go through the motions in the settings and hit the shutter release to record the WB and each time I get the error that is cant record the white balance. Any ideas?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D3100 and D5200 wont set WB
JosephK Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Jul 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
03rd Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Jul 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
02nd Jul 2013
blu62vette Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 02-Jul-13 08:28 PM
4153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D3100 and D5200 wont set WB"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Without knowing more of the details, make sure there is enough light for a good reading, and make sure the gray card fills the entire frame.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 10:11 PM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D3100 and D5200 wont set WB"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Todd,

I assume you are using the "PRE" feature to set the WB?

What exposure mode are you using?

If you are using Manual exposure mode did you adjust the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO to get a correct exposure of your gray card?
It the exposure is not correct, the camera won't be able to measure the WB.
Setting the exposure mode to Program for the calibration shot will usually solve the problem.

Once you set the "PRE" in the camera are you pressing the WB button again and waiting for "PRE" to flash in the Top LCD before you release the shutter?

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 03-Jul-13 12:08 AM
2934 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D3100 and D5200 wont set WB"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

>
>Once you set the "PRE" in the camera are you
>pressing the WB button again and waiting for "PRE"
>to flash in the Top LCD before you release the shutter?

You're thinking of the more advanced cameras, Marty. The two mentioned don't have top LCD screens.

Len

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 02:06 AM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D3100 and D5200 wont set WB"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Len,

Thanks for the correction.
The on the D3000 and I assume D3100 and D5200 too, "PRE" will flash at the bottom of the INFO display on the rear LCD after you Set: White Balance > Preset manual > Measure > Yes > OK in the Shooting Menu. You must press the shutter release while "PRE" is flashing in the rear LCD.

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 02-Jul-13 11:56 PM
2934 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D3100 and D5200 wont set WB"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

You can't take a photo of the gray card without first acquiring focus. What I do is place a high contrast image next to the gray card, acquire focus, press the AF-L button to lock focus and then reframe so only the gray card is in the viewfinder. Then take the photo. You should then get a message saying the data was OK or something similar.

Len

blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 02:16 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D3100 and D5200 wont set WB"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for the suggestions, will double ckeck light and focus on the other cameras. I do focus on my d7000 but this was not my normal work flow so didnt pay as much attention to what the others were doing. Makes sense these could be the issue.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8406 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.