Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8399
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5200 star trail picture questions" Previous topic | Next topic
John Gabriel Registered since 20th Jun 2013Mon 01-Jul-13 05:29 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5200 star trail picture questions"

US

I just bought my D5200 and tried to take some star trail pictures with it and I get the error saying "subject is too dark". Is there a way to bypass this feature? How do you guys take pictures like this? That you in advance for your help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mareng Registered since 14th Jan 2013Mon 01-Jul-13 12:25 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5200 star trail picture questions"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 01-Jul-13 12:28 PM by mareng

Thatcham. GB, GB

I've done it with a D3100 which is a similar camera.

Try,
* Tripod
* Manual Exposure
* F5.6
* Shutter Speed 30 seconds ( Bulb and minutes if you have a remote shutter release cable about £25 in UK) and they come with leads to fit quite a few Nikon cameras, plus an extension cable.
* High ISO
Modify ISO if too bright, then F#

No doubt I will get shot down in flames, but experiment in Manual, forget the presets.
Try , Try and try again till you have something that suits.
In the UK it is finding a night without cloud cover.

You could also try light trails from cars.
Tripod,Manual Exp,ISO 100, F22, Shutter 30 seconds

Good luck

Mareng

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Mon 01-Jul-13 12:43 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5200 star trail picture questions"
In response to Reply # 1

Springfield, US

>You could also try light trails from cars.

You might also want to try light trails of airplanes. They're kinda neat too.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 01-Jul-13 05:17 PM
25898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5200 star trail picture questions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>I just bought my D5200 and tried to take some star trail
>pictures with it and I get the error saying "subject is
>too dark". Is there a way to bypass this feature?

Congratulations on your new D5200.
Yes! You will have to use Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO.
For shooting Star Trails you will more than likely have to use Manual Focus as well.
Setting the focus distance to infinity.

>How do you guys take pictures like this?

There are two ways to go about shooting star trails.
For both you will need a stable tripod and a remote shutter release like the Nikon MC-DC2. You should find a location with as little light pollution as possible under a new moon (black sky).
1. Shooting a single very long exposure possibly as long as 80 min.
Set the aperture wide open at small f/# (f/2.8 or f/4).
Set the ISO to the base setting (ISO 100)
Set the shutter speed to Bulb.
You will then have to experiment to find the most appropriate shutter speed for the conditions and scene you are shooting.

2. Shoot multiple images and combine them via Image Stacking in PP.
Again set the aperture wide open (f/2.8 or f/4).
Use a shutter speed beteen 30 sec. to 1 min.
Adjust the ISO as required for a correct exposure.
Then download the images to your computer and combine them using photo editing software.

Keep in mind that it takes practice and quite a bit of trial and error to get it right.
Also the cameras meter is almost useless for shooting star trails.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8399 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.