nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #838
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens" Previous topic | Next topic
poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Fri 06-Nov-09 10:51 PM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
Sat 07-Nov-09 03:49 AM by poc

US

I have a Sigma 105 mm macro lens (one year old) that I successfully use with D80 and D90. Have recently added a D5000 for professional reasons.

The problem: The D5000 will not turn on at all with this lens attached.
The camera works fine with Nikon, Tamron and even an old Vivitar lens (no autofocus) and it is not part of the recall.

Has anyone heard of or encountered this problem? Is there a solution? Nikon has no answer, waiting for Sigma response (slow).

Need live view for surgical photography. Other option is return D500 and get another D90 but I prefer the size of the D5000.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
09th Nov 2009
poc Silver Member
09th Nov 2009
benryan
09th Nov 2009
09th Nov 2009
09th Nov 2009
benryan
09th Nov 2009
poc Silver Member
10th Nov 2009
benryan
10th Nov 2009
10th Nov 2009
poc Silver Member
10th Nov 2009
benryan
10th Nov 2009
poc Silver Member
11th Nov 2009
benryan
11th Nov 2009
11th Nov 2009
benryan
11th Nov 2009
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
11th Nov 2009
benryan
11th Nov 2009
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
11th Nov 2009
benryan
12th Nov 2009
benryan
13th Nov 2009
poc Silver Member
14th Nov 2009
benryan
16th Nov 2009
benryan
18th Nov 2009

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 09-Nov-09 01:03 AM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I do not know what's wrong, although more than likely Sigma will be rechipping the lens and it will work fine when you (eventually) get it back.

However, are you aware that even once it does power up, you won't be able to AF on the D5000? That camera requires in-lens focusing motors, which the Sigma 105 does not have.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Mon 09-Nov-09 01:25 AM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for your response Brian.

Can you enlighten me on what "rechipping" means? Would this be done if there were a defect with the lens or for other purposes?

And yes, I am aware that auto focus will not work with this setup. For the intended purposes I pre-set the focus at a specific distance and quickly move in and out until things look sharp, then shoot. Currently doing it with a D80, but it would be easier to do it (point and shoot style) with a tilting screen moving the camera rather than my head.

Any info is appreciated.

Regards,

POC

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Mon 09-Nov-09 08:03 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Dublin, IE

I have the exact same problem. My D5000 however, according to the Nikon website is affected by the glitch where the camera won't turn on. Having said that, It works fine with my Nikkor and Tamron lenses. I have contacted Nikon tech support but yet to get a reply. I was offered a refund from the retail outlet where I bought it, and advised to buy a Nikon 60mm AF-S macro lens instead (this has auto focus).
Does this now mean that I can never buy a lens cheaper online without trying it first?
I'd like to know what chipping needs to be done to the Sigma lens too.
Ben

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 09-Nov-09 08:55 AM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

> Does this now mean that I can never buy a lens cheaper online without trying it first?

No, I don't think that's true. For one thing, even Nikon doesn't always get it right. When the 18-200VR came out, I had to upgrade the firmware on two of my Nikon cameras to be fully compatible. One of them, the D100, is not field-upgradeable, and I had to send it back to Nikon to get this addressed.

To put this in perspective, I cannot remember a single instance of Tokina lenses being incompatible. Tamron may have had one situation with one lens about a year ago, but it was infrequent enough that I can't remember for sure. Sigma has had trouble with a couple of individual models, and more generally with the whole set of HSM lenses in the past five years. Usually when there is trouble it has to do with a specific feature, not the whole operation. For example, the D3 improperly reads the 120-300/f2.8 HSM lens as a DX lens, rather than as an FX as it really is. In order to use it properly, one has to manually switch the camera to FX, which is annoying but is also a two-second workaround. Sigma has been quite good about sorting out the problems at no charge to the user.

Sigma is more susceptible because they have been much more aggressive about new technologies in their lenses. They had internal motors at least six years before Tamron and Tokina, and they had OS (their equivalent of VR) at least five years before Tamron. Tokina has yet to offer a similar capability.

And to put another angle on this, I have owned six Sigma lenses, including 5 HSMs, along with nine Nikon bodies. I've never *had* to send any of the Sigmas in, since I never had a D200. Even most D200 users weren't affected as relatively few use the AF-ON button, which was the feature affected. My Nikon bodies range from the simplest (an F2) to some of the most complex (D3), so I have a fairly extensive range of experience. I should also note that I've never had ANY incompatibility at all with my three Tamrons and one Tokina.

_____

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 09-Nov-09 08:40 AM
#4. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

There is a chip in every AF lens. Apparently the one in your particular model of the Sigma 105 is incompatible. This is a pretty big surprise, because in general when this happens it's pretty subtle and doesn't affect the big picture. In fact, this is a pretty common lens and the fact that it's the first time that it's come up here at Nikonians suggests that it may be a problem with your individual lens rather than the model as a whole. But either way, Sigma has a good reputation for getting this sorted out.

As an example in the past, when the D200 came out, Sigma HSM lenses worked for the most part, but if one had the original D200 firmware AND older HSM lenses, then the AF-ON button sometimes did not engage properly. Sigma offered free rechipping for that, and quite a number of people had that done before Nikon issued a firmware upgrade on the D200 that also addressed the problem. That was the biggest and most visible error that I can remember.

Rechipping requires sending the lens in, and from what I recall it takes a couple of weeks.

_____

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Mon 09-Nov-09 05:44 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 4

Dublin, IE

How strange is this... I've tried the lens this evening on a Nikon D90, and a D3... and it works fine on both.... Does this mean the problem is now in my camera?
Sigma have replied saying "This will be because the camera has no built in AF drive it requires HSM lenses to function unfortunately this lens is not HSM so will not work with the D40/60/3000/5000 but every other Nikon." This can't be right, It should still work. It should just not have the Autofocus Feature.
I phoned Nikon support today and they said that if I sent it in, the camera would be tested to work with Nikon lenses... Because the fault is with a Sigma lens makes it My problem... Not theirs!

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Tue 10-Nov-09 01:27 AM
#7. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I heard back from Sigma today and they advised me that they are not aware of the problem with this lens and would pass this up to the next level, so I will just wait to hear from them.

Ben, as noted in my original post, this lens works fine with my other Nikon cameras, just not with the D5000. It appears that you and I have the identical problem so it would probably be helpful if you advise Sigma so they are aware that this may be more than one lens.

The response I received from Nikon is the same as they gave you which makes sense. I would not expect that they would be concerned about third party lenses.

POC

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Tue 10-Nov-09 08:01 AM
#8. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 7

Dublin, IE

Hi poc,
I've just tried a friends Sigma 105mm EX DG 2.8 and it works fine.
I was talking to the company that distribute Sigma here in Ireland yesterday. They said that I can send them the lens so that they can check it.Although I got the impression that they weren't all that interested.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 10-Nov-09 11:56 AM
#9. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 8

Richmond, US

Sigma have been quite interested in addressing such problems in the past. It is also well to observe that the D5000 has been the most problematic Nikon in recent times, perhaps ever.

_____

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Tue 10-Nov-09 12:27 PM
#10. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I'll keep everyone posted on the response I get from Sigma.

Brian, your point on the D5000 is well taken. This is taking up more time than it is worth and am seriously considering just returning the camera and going with a D90 even though Calumet says they are in short supply.

POC

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Tue 10-Nov-09 05:07 PM
#11. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 10

Dublin, IE

Hey guys,
I got two replies from sigma today... One from Sigma USA, wantnig to know the serial number of my lens. Apparantly there has been an update to the firmware for this lens.
And also an email from Sigma distributors in Ireland (where I live), wanting the serial number and also wanting to know where it was purchased. Why would this matter since they offer a worldwide guarantee?
Ben

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Wed 11-Nov-09 12:58 AM
#12. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hey Ben,
I received word from Sigma in NY today requesting that I send in my lens along with warranty info and proof of purchase. They will work on the lens and return it. They feel this is a lens specific problem which would go along with your friend's lens working and yours not.

I will probably send it in but am seriously considering just returning the camera and going with the D90. I'll keep you posted.

POC

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Wed 11-Nov-09 07:43 AM
#13. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 12

Dublin, IE

I got same email. They said it needs a firmware update.. but I'm in Ireland and don't want to send it to USA. I'm also waiting for Sigma distributor in Irelanr to reply to me. They sent me an email yesterday requesting the lens serial number and wanting to know where I bought the lens... Why would this matter since it has a worldwide warranty.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 11-Nov-09 02:59 PM
#14. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 13

Richmond, US

> don't want to send it to USA.

You don't have to - Sigma UK can handle this.

> Why would this matter since it has a worldwide warranty.

Sigma UK seem to be considerably more worried about grey market than Sigma USA or Sigma Japan. The Sigma UK web site carried a prominent article about the seriousness of grey market violations for close to a year - this at a time when Sigma USA clearly demonstrated through their actions that they just did not care.

_____

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Wed 11-Nov-09 08:23 PM
#15. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 14

Dublin, IE

What is Grey Market?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 11-Nov-09 08:55 PM
29354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 15

Paignton, UK

>What is Grey Market?

"Grey Market" means an item was not imported into the purchaser's country by the official importer for that country.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Wed 11-Nov-09 10:38 PM
#17. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 16

Dublin, IE

So am I correct to assume that Grey Market are still geniune products... Just maybe cheaper than your ordinary high-street price?
Is that correct?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 11-Nov-09 10:48 PM
29354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 17

Paignton, UK

Grey Market products from a reputable dealer are physically exactly the same as official products. Sometimes (depending on the source) there can be differences in the boxes and manuals, and country-specific things like the battery charger power lead.

Aside from purchase price, the main practical difference is in the warranty arrangements, service options, and sometimes the future resale value.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Thu 12-Nov-09 07:49 AM
#19. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 18

Dublin, IE

hey guys,
My email reply from Sigma USA said that the lens needs a firmware update, and I can send it to Sigma Ireland... My reply from Sigma Ireland said it must be a problem with the camera since the lens is working fine with the D3 and the D90. Sigma UK sent me an email asking me to phone them to discuss the problem further. I'll be doing that today so I'll let you know how I get on later.
Ben

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Fri 13-Nov-09 08:01 AM
#20. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 19

Dublin, IE

Posting my Lens to Sigma today.. Should have it back in a few days...

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Sat 14-Nov-09 01:54 AM
#21. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 20

US

Returned D5000 today. Also discovered problem with this camera and live view with old Vivitar lens that also works fine with other cameras. Decided it was more trouble than it is worth.

Played with a D300s as a possible alternative but my preliminary impressions were confirmed, too big for my tastes and style.

Calumet is backordered on D90's so I will pick one up hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Ben, good luck with your Sigma, it was good chatting with you.

POC

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Mon 16-Nov-09 11:33 PM
#22. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 21

Dublin, IE

Hi All,
Well I have some good news!!! I sent my lens off to Hahnel Industries on Friday last, (they are the main distributors of Sigma products in Ireland). I received a call today to say that my lens would not work on their Nikon D5000 either. So they did a full firmware update on the lens and "hey presto", it worked fine. It's looking like this was the problem all along. I expect to get my lens back tomorrow but don't expect to have any more problems with it.
Thank you all for your help, and best of luck to you POC with your D90.
Take Care,
Ben
www.flooringsolutions.ie

benryan Registered since 09th Nov 2009Wed 18-Nov-09 07:40 PM
#23. "RE: D5000 won't turn on with Sigma macro lens"
In response to Reply # 22

Dublin, IE

Hey All,
I got my lens back yesterday. A ffirmware update solved the problem. Sigma 105 2.8 macro is now working perfect. The only cost to pay was the cost of postage.
Ben

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #838 Previous topic | Next topic