nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8342
View in linear mode

Subject: "shutter speeds using flash" Previous topic | Next topic
waedison Registered since 23rd Jun 2010Sun 23-Jun-13 07:48 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"shutter speeds using flash"

US

What is the fastest shutter speed possible with my d5000 using my sb900 flash? Using what settings on both units? Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: shutter speeds using flash
accettoN Silver Member
23rd Jun 2013
waedison
24th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
24th Jun 2013
waedison
24th Jun 2013
waedison
12th Jul 2013
12th Jul 2013
waedison
12th Jul 2013
13th Jul 2013
aolander Silver Member
24th Jun 2013

accettoN Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2013Sun 23-Jun-13 08:06 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: shutter speeds using flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Plymouth, UK

I would use TTL only for the beginning. Later on you may do manual settings, but I would advise it after you get used to it first. I personally am not much a friend with my flash )

Maximum sinc speed is 1/200 sec. for ALL flashes.

waedison Registered since 23rd Jun 2010Mon 24-Jun-13 12:56 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: shutter speeds using flash"
In response to Reply # 1

US

1/200th is the best I could do. Unfortunately that leaves me with some ghosting on action pictures. I wonder if the different models have different shutter speed capabilities with flash where I can use a faster shutter speed.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 24-Jun-13 01:33 AM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: shutter speeds using flash"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Butch,

To eliminate the ghosting, use Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO. Set the shutter speed to 1/200th sec. and the aperture and ISO to under expose for the ambient light by three or more stops. With the SB-900 in TTL mode you will be able to use the short flash duration of the flash to freeze the motion of your subject.

Also make sure you are in TTL mode not TTL BL mode.

Best Regards,
Marty

waedison Registered since 23rd Jun 2010Mon 24-Jun-13 04:48 PM
#5. "RE: shutter speeds using flash"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for that Marty. I will try that out very soon. /Butch

waedison Registered since 23rd Jun 2010Fri 12-Jul-13 07:03 PM
#6. "RE: shutter speeds using flash"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Marty, I finally got a chance to try your approach and it really worked. I actually could only stop down one stop on Manual. I've attached two photos, the first is using Auto-900 on TTL mode, the better one is using the camera on Manual, 1/200th of a second at F5-6.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 12-Jul-13 08:08 PM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: shutter speeds using flash"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Butch,

Since both images appear to be shot from the same location and about 2.5 minutes apart the ambient light should be the same.

There is actually about a 3-stop difference in the ambient exposure.

Image #1 : 1/60th sec. , f/4.5 @ ISO 1400
Image #2 : 1/200th sec., f/5.6 @ ISO 800

Shutter Speed - 1 2/3rd stops
Aperture - 2/3rd stop
ISO - just under 2/3rd stop

Image #2 is underexposed by just under 3 full stops compared to image #1 for the ambient light. Since Image #1 was slightly underexposed for ambient already, image #2 was underexposed by more than 3 stops.

Best Regards,
Marty

waedison Registered since 23rd Jun 2010Fri 12-Jul-13 11:44 PM
#8. "RE: shutter speeds using flash"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Well, you are absolutely correct. The technique works great. Thank you.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 13-Jul-13 01:14 AM
#9. "RE: shutter speeds using flash"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Butch,

Your welcome.
Glad to help.

Best Regards,
Marty

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 24-Jun-13 01:03 AM
3363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: shutter speeds using flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The fastest with some DSLRs is 1/250th. FP sync can be used above that, but the flash power is greatly reduced. Probably not usable with action photography unless your subjects are quite close.

Alan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8342 Previous topic | Next topic