Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8316
View in linear mode

Subject: "Live View with Lens Stopped Down" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Tue 18-Jun-13 06:52 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Live View with Lens Stopped Down"

Springfield, US

This weekend there will be a super moon which I would like to shoot with a 5100. For all critical focusing needs, I use live view because I don't believe autofocus is accurate enough. When viewing the moon in live view, it shows up as only a bright light in the sky with no detail. I focus on the edge of the moon. If, however, I were able to see surface detail, which shows up quite well in the resulting picture, I believe I could get my focus sharper. Is there any way to force the diaphragm to stop down to its preset level while still viewing in live view?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down
Leonard62 Gold Member
19th Jun 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
21st Jun 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
24th Jun 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
24th Jun 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
25th Jun 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
25th Jun 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
25th Jun 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 19-Jun-13 01:03 AM
2949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

If you set the aperture before turning on LiveView you will be at the preset aperture. I assume you are using aperture priority mode.

I have taken hundreds of moon photos but I don't think ever in LiveView mode. I always see lots of detail but never use a lens shorter than 400mm. If the lens has VR I also handhold. Here's a recent moon shot taken with the D800, AFS 300mm f4 and the TC 20E III, wide open.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 19-Jun-13 03:20 AM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 20-Jun-13 12:40 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

WOW!

How did you focus?

And white balance? I used direct sun, but would something else be better?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 21-Jun-13 12:01 PM
2949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 21-Jun-13 12:09 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

>WOW!
>
>How did you focus?
>
>And white balance? I used direct sun, but would something else
>be better?
>

I used single point AF-S, spot metering and Auto WB. The focus accuracy with this lens is dead on and didn't require fine tuning, even with the TC.

Len

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Fri 21-Jun-13 04:31 PM
#4. "RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down"
In response to Reply # 3

Springfield, US

Thank you very much for the assistance. I will be trying it this weekend and see how things work out.

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Mon 24-Jun-13 03:37 PM
#5. "RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down"
In response to Reply # 3

Springfield, US

Where did you place the focusing spot. The surface is all gray and white at best. Is there a particularly good spot on the moon that yeilds better focusing results than at other spots?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 24-Jun-13 06:44 PM
#6. "RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 24-Jun-13 07:02 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

I just center the moon in my viewfinder. The single center point is on the center of the moon. I just fire away. I'm guessing since the moon is fairly small in the viewfinder that the focus point is large enough to cover a fairly large area of the surface.

Here's an example from a shot I took on Friday.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Tue 25-Jun-13 02:58 PM
#7. "RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down"
In response to Reply # 6

Springfield, US

Very interresting. This picture looks positively soft compared to your first picture, which looks extra crispy. Is that due to the sun being at a more pronounced angel, thus producing more pronounced shadows, in the first picture? Or has the first pic been through post processing? All of my pix look like the second picture.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 25-Jun-13 04:09 PM
#8. "RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 25-Jun-13 04:12 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

A full moon will always have less detail because there are fewer shadows. Your photos will require more post processing because of the lower contrast. My photo was not quite a full moon. You can see more detail at the bottom where there are shadows. All my moon photos require some post.

edit: Also the second photo was taken on a fairly hazy night. When I took the photo I thought my lens had fogged up but it didn't.

Len

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Tue 25-Jun-13 04:45 PM
#9. "RE: Live View with Lens Stopped Down"
In response to Reply # 8

Springfield, US

Thank you. You've taught me a lot.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8316 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.