Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #826
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fill Flash?" Previous topic | Next topic
juttae Registered since 16th Oct 2009Wed 28-Oct-09 01:50 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fill Flash?"

US

Is there a setting I need to adjust to use the flash as a fill flash for outdoor pics? When I have some shadows on a face, I would like to use the flash to even them out, when I turn it on I get a super overexposed shot. What am I doing wrong?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 28-Oct-09 01:22 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fill Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The built-in flash does not have a TTL-BL mode. You can try using the Flash compensation to boost the flash level, but the built-in probably will not have enough power. One of the Nikon SB-900/800/600 Speedlights will have more power and provide a TTL-BL mode, but with a strongly backlit image, you may still not have enough power. You might want to look at the Speedlights forum and Russ MacDonald's Nikon CLS Practical Guide.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Mon 02-Nov-09 08:21 AM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fill Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 02-Nov-09 08:22 AM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

If you aren't using Spot Metering, then the built-in flash will be in TTL-BL mode, which is effectively fill-flash. The camera attempts to balance the flash & ambient light.

I think the problem may lie with your shutter speed. The camera cannot synchronise the flash at a shutter speed faster than 1/200. If without flash your shutter speed is 1/800, then if nothing else changes the image will be 2 stops over exposed, at least, because the camera will reduce the shutter speed to 1/200 or slower. It may even be worse, as the default flash shutter speed is 1/60, almost 2 more stops slower than 1/200.

Hope this helps
Chris

Douglass Moody Registered since 22nd Nov 2009Mon 23-Nov-09 03:14 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fill Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Try setting your Mode dial to "S" for Shutter Priority. You can choose to view your choices through the eyepiece or on the monitor, as you turn the Command Dial in upper-right backside. You can synchronize flash with daylight exposure at 1/200, or slower. All other settings will remain automatic. At ISO 200, a normal exposure should be 1/200 at f/16. Now manipulate your flash output to 1/2 of full exposure to achieve 2:1 lighting ratio, or 1/3rd to achieve 3:1 ratio.

An automatic TTL flash (such as an SB-600) allows choices of fill lighting ratio.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 23-Nov-09 02:12 PM
50283 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Fill Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Friends,

it´s no longer necessary to answer as the OP has already deleted his account.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #826 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.