Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8247
View in linear mode

Subject: "Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for Ind..." Previous topic | Next topic
stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Sat 08-Jun-13 01:00 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for Indoor wedding tomorrow - June 8th!"

US

Greetings Nikonians!
Apologies for the last minute question, but this came up rather quickly. Tomorrow night, I'll be shooting a wedding with a D5200, Nikkor 16-85, and the Nikon SB-400 (with Stofen Omnibounce). Assuming hand-held in a not very well-lit room, I was wondering if the following camera settings would be optimal for sharp, well-exposed images (with subjects approx. 6-20 ft. distant):
ISO 200
Manual mode
1/200 @ f/8
SB-400 (straight-not angled) with Omnibounce
WB = Auto
AF Area Mode = Single Point
AF-S Mode
Flash Control for built-in flash = TTL?
Picture Control = Standard
Active-D Lighting = Auto
ISO Sensitivity = 400 (ON)
Maximum Sensitivity = 1600

(I'm assuming that the SB-400 will be much superior to the built-in flash, either in bounce mode when possible, or with the Omnibounce Diffuser on.)
Any advice sent to steve@totalqualityphoto.com within the next day would be greatly appreciated! (I obviously didn't have time to do exposure tests, which is why I am seeking advice from those who have done so with this equipment.)
Thanks again!
Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for...
blw Moderator
08th Jun 2013
stevelink3
10th Jun 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Jun 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
08th Jun 2013
blw Moderator
08th Jun 2013
JosephK Silver Member
08th Jun 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
08th Jun 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 08-Jun-13 03:18 AM
26586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for Indoor wedding tomorrow - June 8th!"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The SB-400 is not much more powerful than the builtin flashes. It can bounce, a little, but it doesn't really have enough power to do that unless you're using a bounce surface that's quite close.

Choosing an exposure such as 1/200, f/8, ISO 200 is not very likely to be successful. Even given TTL flash, you have so many variables, such as focus distance, ambient light conditions, and the like. Frankly I'm very skeptical: most churches are fairly dark, and you're often not very close, meaning that the flash may not carry that far. Can I tell you want to use? Nope.

You do want to use TTL flash, which means through the lens metering AND the flash should be the primary illumination. TTL-BL would mean that the meter should aim for fill flash only, probably not what you want given that you're asking these questions.

I would estimate that you'll need much higher ISO than 200, if it "not very well lit" proves to be correct. As an example, I turned on all of the lights in my living room, such that most humans would call it fairly well lit. At f/8, ISO 200, I needed 1/2 second exposure. If your wedding is in the same light, your ambient exposure of 1/200th, f/8, ISO 200 would be six full stops underexposed, meaning that the flash has to provide six stops of light. I'm too lazy to look up the guide number etc to do the calculation, but I'm pretty certain that the builtin flash or SB-400 are not up for that - especially if you try to bounce. More likely to get reasonably close to possible, I'd start with ISO 1600, f/4.5: the ISO is three stops more sensitive, and the aperture is a stop and a half wider, total 4.5 stops brighter. Then if your ambient light environment is like my living room, the flash only has to provide 1.5 stops or so, which either of the two flashes probably can do up to a reasonable distance.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Mon 10-Jun-13 02:59 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for Indoor wedding tomorrow - June 8th!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Brian et al,
Many thanks for your expert advice! Though I had wished I was able to procure a Nikon SB-700, I only had the SB-400, which as it turned out, was most adequate for the ocassion! I managed to obtain sharp images with the aforementioned kit, though the flash position was of course, somewhat limiting.
I plan to present a small album as a gift, and I can say that the D5200 files are more than adequate for this!
Thanks again for all your recommendations!
Regards,
Steve

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 08-Jun-13 01:16 PM
2955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for Indoor wedding tomorrow - June 8th!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I totally agree with Brian. The SB400 is only a little bit bit more powerful that the built in flash. Under the conditions you mention and especially using a diffuser I think you'll be very disappointed with your photos. You'll want to use a higher ISO setting for sure and I would recommend a stronger flash like the SB700.

Len

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sat 08-Jun-13 07:59 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for Indoor wedding tomorrow - June 8th!"
In response to Reply # 2

Norwalk, US

>I totally agree with Brian. The SB400 is only a little bit
>bit more powerful that the built in flash.

GN of 12 meters for the built-in versus 21 meters for the SB-400, so the SB-400 can fire at 175% the power of the built-in. It also recharges faster and doesn't use your main battery.

Your profile shows that you have the 35 mm f/1.8 DX, and I'd use both lenses, with the 35 able to boot your low light capability significantly.

What I'd do:

Aperture priority mode, with auto ISO programmed for a minimum shutter speed of 1/125 and maximum ISO of 1600 (set minimum at 100), and shoot the 16-85 wide open. With the 35 mm, set your aperture for DoF, but f/2.8 or so will be a nice sweet spot. This should keep your images clean, and only rely on the flash if it's VERY dimly lit.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 08-Jun-13 09:18 PM
26586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for Indoor wedding tomorrow - June 8th!"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

> GN of 12 meters for the built-in versus 21 meters for the SB-400, so the SB-400 can fire at 175% the power of the built-in.

Sounds impressive, doesn't it? 175% of the power or 75% more means that it is about two thirds of a stop better. That is, if you were at f/5.6 before, now you can shoot at f/4.2 now. I'll take it, but that's not really much more powerful.

> auto ISO programmed

I would caution inexperienced users not to attempt to combine auto ISO with TTL flash. Although it does work as it's designed, the interaction between the ambient exposure, the flash exposure and the auto ISO is complex enough that it's virtually guaranteed not to be what an inexperienced flash user would expect.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 08-Jun-13 07:11 PM
4188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for Indoor wedding tomorrow - June 8th!"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Good advise all around.

The one thing I will chip in is to make sure you have auto-ISO turned off. It does not play well with flash, at least from the perspective of how folks think it should work.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 08-Jun-13 07:36 PM
545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Seeking Exposure advice: Nikon D5200 and SB-400 for Indoor wedding tomorrow - June 8th!"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 10-Jun-13 05:12 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I don't know that this would work or not. I have taken a few Photos in Aperture Mode that I didn't use Flash at all.

See album in my Gallery Named Mother.

Because of limitations of Gallery size. The picture are not really as sharp as the original RAW file. I had to convert to Jpeg and then set DPI to 150 dpi.
I had set to Auto ISO of 800 (for these Photos) and left camera set speed.

When they were taken were taken handheld. And if the Op is going with a Nikon Flash he needs to save for a 950. (which doesn't help now.)

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8247 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.