Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8206
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5200 memory card decision help" Previous topic | Next topic
nivass Registered since 26th May 2013Thu 30-May-13 04:22 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5200 memory card decision help"

US

Hi All,

Please let me know which one of below card are sufficient for nikon d5200 camera.
1)SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s
2)SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s

I would like to know how much better performance we will get if we use 95MB/s Extreme Pro card.

Thanks in advance

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5200 memory card decision help
MEMcD Moderator
30th May 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
05th Jun 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
09th Jun 2013
Sasquatch519
11th Jun 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 30-May-13 04:52 AM
25940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5200 memory card decision help"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi _____,

Welcome to Nikonians!

Both cards will work well in the D5200.

If you fill the buffer, the 95MB/sec. Card will clear the buffer a little faster allowing you to capture a few more images per unit time compared to the 45MB/sec. Card.

BTW:
When you get a few minutes please fill in your Real name in your User Profile.

We always encourage our members to fill in their real first and last names, and have made that issue a part of our Terms of Use.

The intent is to foster a community of "real people" instead of mysterious web personalities with anonymous screen names. Doing this helps to establish and maintain a safe, civil and friendly environment.

Thanks in advance.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 05-Jun-13 04:14 PM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5200 memory card decision help"
In response to Reply # 1

Springfield, US

If you take a picture and then take another picture and then take anotther picture and so on, I doubt you would notice a difference. However, if you find youself using the continuous fire mode, you'll find after about 8 or 10 shots, the camera will slow down while the buffer is cleared. I that case, the 95 might allow you to fire a longer string before it slows down.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Thu 06-Jun-13 05:32 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5200 memory card decision help"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Jun-13 05:32 PM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

In Cl mode at 3 FPS, the Extreme Pro will allow you to shoot raw pretty much indefinitely. The Extreme will slow down to about 1 FPS after 7 exposures.

In Ch mode, you will fill the buffer in about 8 exposures, then continue at about 3 FPS, using an Extreme Pro card. With a regular extreme, you will fill the buffer in 7 exposures, and the the camera will slow down to 1 FPS.

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberSun 09-Jun-13 10:16 PM
1088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5200 memory card decision help"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

If you are not going to rattle off long bursts, a UHS-I class 10 card with 30-45 Mb/s write speeds will be very affordable, like $1 per GB.

Sasquatch519 Registered since 26th Mar 2013Tue 11-Jun-13 07:34 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D5200 memory card decision help"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have several of the Sandisk Extreme cards in 30mb/s and 45mb/s flavors. I have no problem shooting bursts of 5-6 images on either type of card on a D5100. I haven't really tested it beyond that, but I'd say you probably don't need to pay for the 95mb/s unless you plan on taking dozens of continuous photos without pausing.

I've had no problems shooting 1080i/p video either on those cards.

------------------------------
Nikon D5100
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
SB-700 AF Speedlight

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8206 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.