Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #820
View in linear mode

Subject: "Auto Scene Modes with manual flash" Previous topic | Next topic
jpplante Registered since 26th Oct 2009Mon 26-Oct-09 12:23 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Auto Scene Modes with manual flash"

US

Hello,

I just purchased a d5000. So far I love the camera. My wife and I are newbies in the world of photography. Today my wife is experimenting with the "Scene Modes" she is taking pictures of autumn trees. She put the camera in "autumn colors" mode and snapped some pictures then in straight "auto" mode.

The results are the "auto" mode used the flash and the colors are more brilliant. Can we manually turn on the flash for any of the "auto scene" settings or are the scene modes simply set and thats the way it is?

Also obviously it is possible to manually set the camera. In an effort to learn more can we see what the settings the "auto scene" modes use by default so we can replicate them in manual mode giving us more control and a better understanding how the settings interact to give us desired results?

Thanks a million for any information

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 26-Oct-09 05:30 PM
25676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Auto Scene Modes with manual flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi JP,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>The results are the "auto" mode used the flash and
>the colors are more brilliant. Can we manually turn on the
>flash for any of the "auto scene" settings or are
>the scene modes simply set and thats the way it is?

Try deploying the built in Speedlight and see what happens.

>Also obviously it is possible to manually set the camera. In
>an effort to learn more can we see what the settings the
>"auto scene" modes use by default so we can
>replicate them in manual mode giving us more control and a
>better understanding how the settings interact to give us
>desired results?

If you want to see all of the settings including the picture controls you will have to view the image on a computer and check the Exif data using Nikon NX or other image editing software.
The camera should display the Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO, in the viewfinder display which will change for each situation based on the ambient lighting conditions.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jpplante Registered since 26th Oct 2009Mon 26-Oct-09 05:36 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Auto Scene Modes with manual flash"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Ahhh... I never thought of that. Let me get this right...The resulting picture will have the information (ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture) in the information of the picture itself? That is very handy indeed.

I can then use that info to help learn the differences in affect from those attributes... Thank you very much for the response, I will also look up the Speedlight functionality.

PS. My wife is getting sooo much enjoyment from her Nikon, she has been bitten by the photography bug!

Thanks again.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #820 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.