Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8195
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5200 aperture change help" Previous topic | Next topic
nivass Registered since 26th May 2013Sun 26-May-13 02:01 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5200 aperture change help"

US

Hi All,
From the forums, I understand that we cannot change Aperture in Live view (I believe mostly in Aperture-Priority mode and Manual mode).

My questions is regarding some auto modes Like Auto,Scenes Mode will camera changes aperture based on settings ?. I just want to understand the nikon D5200 limit only user aperture changes in live view but in other mode like shutter priorty mode the camera can change aperture in live view . Let me know how the camera works ?.

Thanks,

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5200 aperture change help
briantilley Moderator
26th May 2013
nivass
27th May 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
27th May 2013
briantilley Moderator
27th May 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
28th May 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
27th May 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 26-May-13 07:45 AM
28752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5200 aperture change help"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 26-May-13 08:13 AM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

I think you may have misinterpreted what you read about Live View.

In Aperture Priority and Manual Exposure Modes, it is possible to change the aperture setting, whether Live View is being used or not. Taking stills in Live View, you don't SEE the effect of the altered aperture immediately, because the lens stays at maximum aperture until you press the shutter release to take the shot. When the shot is taken, the lens closes down to the chosen aperture (whatever that is) in the normal way.

Similarly in Shutter Priority, Program and Auto Modes, the camera will select an appropriate aperture setting itself, and - including in Live View - this setting is what the lens will close down to when you take the shot.

Edited to add...

Note that in Movie Mode (as opposed to Live View), I believe it is not possible to alter the aperture during recording - though as I don't use Movie I'm not absolutely sure about that

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

nivass Registered since 26th May 2013Mon 27-May-13 01:03 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5200 aperture change help"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Welcome to Nikonians!
>
>I think you may have misinterpreted what you read about Live
>View.
>
>In Aperture Priority and Manual Exposure Modes, it is possible
>to change the aperture setting, whether Live View is being
>used or not. Taking stills in Live View, you don't SEE the
>effect of the altered aperture immediately, because the lens
>stays at maximum aperture until you press the shutter release
>to take the shot. When the shot is taken, the lens closes
>down to the chosen aperture (whatever that is) in the normal
>way.
>
>Similarly in Shutter Priority, Program and Auto Modes, the
>camera will select an appropriate aperture setting itself, and
>- including in Live View - this setting is what the lens will
>close down to when you take the shot.
>
>Edited to add...
>
>Note that in Movie Mode (as opposed to Live View), I believe
>it is not possible to alter the aperture during recording -
>though as I don't use Movie I'm not absolutely sure about that
>

Hi Brain,
Thanks for your great explanation. I recently went to local store and tried D5200 camera. In live view Aperture Priority Mode I am able to change the Aperture and the taken picture is showing the changed aperture . So what am I missing. Why everybody says Nikon D5200 can't change aperture in live view. In the store when I am playing with camera clearly I can see the aperture is chagned in live view as well the taken picture recorded in the newly changed aperture . Let me know.

Thanks

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 27-May-13 01:36 PM
545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Nikon D5200 aperture change help"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 27-May-13 01:38 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

>Hi Brain,
>Thanks for your great explanation. I recently went to local
>store and tried D5200 camera. In live view Aperture Priority
>Mode I am able to change the Aperture and the taken picture is
>showing the changed aperture . So what am I missing. Why
>everybody says Nikon D5200 can't change aperture in live view.
>In the store when I am playing with camera clearly I can see
>the aperture is chagned in live view as well the taken picture
>recorded in the newly changed aperture . Let me know.
>
>Thanks

Because the people telling you if you went to a store such as Sears, Wally-World (WalMart), or even sales Clerks at *some* big Chain Camera stores job is to sell and have no real knowledge Cameras. My last two cameras I bought at Sears. And the sales clerks really had no knowledge of Photography. I actually knew more how it worked than they did.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 27-May-13 02:35 PM
28752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D5200 aperture change help"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

Sorry, but I have no idea why "everyone" is saying that you can't change the aperture in Live View. Now, if your aim in changing the aperture is to assess the effect of the change on the depth of field, then you'll be out of luck because like I said the aperture stays wide open until you release the shutter and you can't see any change on the rear monitor. Perhaps that's what some people mean but are expressing it poorly...?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 28-May-13 12:17 PM
2955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D5200 aperture change help"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

Brian is correct. The people in the store are not expressing themselves correctly. The D3200 and D5200 series of cameras will stop the lens to the taking aperture when the photo is taken and not before. I think the reason they are mentioning this at all is because the more advanced cameras like my D800 and D3X, the lens will stop down in LiveView before you take the shot. It stops down in Aperture priority mode so you can somewhat see the effect on dof. But I find it's subtle on the LCD screen in comparison to an actual photo. I can't comment about the other modes which I seldom use and have not tried.

Len

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 27-May-13 01:29 PM
545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Nikon D5200 aperture change help"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 27-May-13 01:39 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Brian is correct about movie.

I've only taken only 3 movies with my 3200 (use much the same Movie settings).

But from those I learned you can adjust aperture even in Live View up until you press that red dotted button to begin taking the Movie. Once the movie is being taken it is locked down for duration of the movie.

And of course Brian is absolutely correct about about the rest of the post. He is one of the resident Camera Geniuses, or Gurus on the Nikonian forums. If what he says isn't correct then he has had an off day, or bad headache or something.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8195 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.