Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8160
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP please!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Fri 17-May-13 03:14 PM
1962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HELP please!!"

NL

I'm lending my 70-300mm VR to a friend with a D5000. The 70-300mm is refusing to auto-focus on the D5000. I don't have a D5000 so I don't know its settings or anything, and I don't have my own camera with me to see what might going on. But as far as I know the lens works fine. Anybody know what could be going on?

— LaDonna

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: HELP please!!
SheriB Silver Member
17th May 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
17th May 2013
kodiak photo Silver Member
17th May 2013
Cookies35 Silver Member
17th May 2013
17th May 2013
17th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
17th May 2013

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 17-May-13 03:42 PM
1698 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HELP please!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Is that lens a screw drive focus? If so itbwill not af on some bodies that require the lens to have its owm focus motor

Sheri Becker

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 17-May-13 03:56 PM
3103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HELP please!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Hatboro, Pa, US

The VR version of this lens was only made with the AFS built in motor. It should work fine on a D5000.

LaDonna, Make sure your friend has the D5000 set to one of the AF modes which can be set by pressing the i button and setting the mode in the LCD screen. Also make sure the M/A-M switch on the lens is set to M/A. If that doesn't work then let us know.

Len

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Fri 17-May-13 03:44 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HELP please!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Hello LaDonna

A simple question:
Does the friend have a AF lens that is working normally with the D5000?

If the answer is "yes", I cannot help you.
Should the answer be "no" because that friend has no AF lens, then your
should:
• check menu configuration and
• check the AF switch on both the camera and the lens.

Good luck!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Fri 17-May-13 04:27 PM
1962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: HELP please!!"
In response to Reply # 2

NL

Thanks everybody for getting back to me! And in particular thanks to Daniel for giving me the most efficient problem-solving workflow. Seems easy after the fact. I'll have to remember that one.

Yes, he had another AF lens with him, and it did just fine. So I've brought the lens home and (no drum roll necessary) it doesn't AF on my camera either. I see a trip to Nikon Service in my future …

— LaDonna

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Fri 17-May-13 04:48 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: HELP please!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Most welcome!

Good luck.

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Fri 17-May-13 04:48 PM
#6. "RE: HELP please!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Most welcome!

Good luck.

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 17-May-13 06:12 PM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: HELP please!!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi LaDonna,

You might want to verify that all of the electrical contacts on the lens project out the same distance. They are spring loaded and can get jammed in, possibly causing AF to malfunction.
You could also use a drop of DeOxit on a Q-tip to clean the electrical contacts just in case they are oxidized.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8160 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.