nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8129
View in linear mode

Subject: "Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Mon 13-May-13 09:37 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"

Toluca Lake, US

I have a Nikon D5100 and am interested in buying extension tubes for casual macro photography (I am not interested in buying dedicated macro lenses).

I understand that the primary issue is that the tubes retain automatic diaphragm and meter coupling functions, so I can compose, focus and meter at a wide-open aperture.

I have been told that both Vello and Kenko make Nikon D5100-compatible extension tube sets that meet this criteria.

Does anyone have experience with either one of these brands or would you recommend another brand?

Thanks.

Mary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
14th May 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
14th May 2013
ronaldnd Silver Member
15th May 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
15th May 2013
ronaldnd Silver Member
16th May 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
16th May 2013
ronaldnd Silver Member
16th May 2013
17th May 2013
ronaldnd Silver Member
17th May 2013
17th May 2013
17th May 2013
ronaldnd Silver Member
17th May 2013
17th May 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
16th May 2013
abhi39
19th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
19th Aug 2013
abhi39
19th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
19th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
19th Aug 2013
abhi39
19th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
19th Aug 2013
abhi39
28th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
abhi39
28th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
abhi39
29th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
abhi39
29th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
abhi39
29th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
abhi39
29th Aug 2013
MaryMR Silver Member
28th Aug 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 14-May-13 12:45 AM
3418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Mary,

I've owned the Kenko tubes for many years. The set is very well made and works perfectly.

Here's a photo I just took with my D5100, AFS 18-55mm at 55mm f8 and the shortest Kenko Tube.

The photo is not cropped and was shot handheld with VR on. However I would recommend using a tripod when using extension tubes.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Tue 14-May-13 03:01 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

Toluca Lake, US

Thanks very much; your photo is beautiful.

It may come down to cost: the Vello set is $80, the Kenko set $200. On the Kenko set web page at B&H Photo Video they show the Vello set as "similar item at savings." I called them twice and spoke to two different salespersons on different days; both recommended the Vello set even though they sell both sets. So I guess I'll just have to make a final decision and go with it. I do have a tripod now.

Mary

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Wed 15-May-13 12:51 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

Mary, I also have been thinking about extension tubes. I currently have an AF Micro Nikkor 60mm, however I was wondering if the combined extension tubes would give me increased magnification. I was wondering if you purchase one of the brand sets, that after you try it out, could you give us a follow up as to the results?
Thanks
Ron

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Wed 15-May-13 07:28 PM
#4. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 3

Toluca Lake, US

I will return to comment after I have ordered and used them. Keep in mind I'm a beginner; just bought the camera about two months ago and have never used extension tubes before.

Mary

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Thu 16-May-13 12:37 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Thanks Mary,
I live in the arctic, in the summer time the only place we see flowers growing is on the tundra, and they are usually very small although colorful. I am often crawling around the tundra in the summer taking pictures of flowers. Seen through the Micro Nikkor lens they are marvelous. I have never used extension tubes and have often wondered what results they would give me. The Nikon 5100 is a wonderful camera. I gave mine to my daughter last year, and after missing it very much have just ordered another one. My other camera is the D7000. The D5100 is very capable and light and easy to carry, a joy to use.
Cheers
Ron

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 16-May-13 07:18 PM
3418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

Ron,

With your AF 60mm macro, one thing to keep in mind is the short distance between the front of the lens and the target. This can cause lighting problems and very narrow depth of field requiring small apertures and long shutter speeds. At these very close distances manual focus is required.

Here's a photo taken with my D300 and the AF 60mm focused at about 1/2 life size. It's the head of a 5 3/4" tall Hummel figure. f11 and the front of the lens 5" to the target.

AF60mm at it's closest 1:1 focusing distance without tubes. f11 and 2 7/8" to target.

With the medium sized 20mm tube only. 2 3/8" from front of lens to target.

With the longest 36mm tube only. 1 3/4" from lens front to target.

The tubes can be stacked to get in even closer but now you'll be very close to the target.

I prefer to use my tubes with longer focal length lenses to get further from the target. It also gives me better, more even, lighting if I use a ring light attached to the front of the lens.

Len

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Thu 16-May-13 11:58 PM
#8. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 6

CA

Thanks for the tip Len, and thanks for the sample images. Very interesting. I may not have elaborated clearly how I was thinking of using the extension tubes, I think it would be overboard to put them on my AF micro Nikkor, but i was wondering what the results would be like on any other lens, at some point I must get a set of extension tubes and try them out. The plant life here is well suited for close up photography, there are no trees here, no bushes, and the flowers that do bloom on the tundra for very short periods of time in the summer are small and they grow close to the ground as a means of staying out of the wind. Seen through the viewfinder of my camera with the micro Nikkor on its like I'm transported to another place where there are lots of colorful plants and vegetation. The camera is like a magic device that takes me to another place. Thanks for the info Len.
Cheers
Ron

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 17-May-13 03:19 AM
#9. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 8

Hatboro, Pa, US

Ron,

What lenses did you have in mind? I can duplicate the results with the different tubes plus stacking if I have the lens. (I might).

By the way I don't have a D7000/D7100 so for my photos above I used my D300 in order to get metering. Of course you'll get metering with the D5100 if you use an AFS lens like the AFS 18-55mm VR.

Len

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Fri 17-May-13 12:33 PM
#11. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 9

CA

Hi Len,
well I have rather a generic collection of lens, the 18-105 and the 18-200. I don't even know if the extension tubes will work with zoom lens. My other lens are in the wide angle range, I'm not sure they would be any good for this.

Ron

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 17-May-13 02:06 PM
#12. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 11

Hatboro, Pa, US

Ron,

I'll try the tubes with the AFS 18-200mm on the D5100. I suspect it will work just fine. This will be a good experiment for Mary as well.

Len

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 17-May-13 03:26 PM
#13. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 12

Hatboro, Pa, US

Here's my experiment using the AFS 18-200mm on the D5100.

All the photos, with or without the tubes had the lens fully extended to the 200mm position.

First, the flower taken at the closest focusing distance with no tube attached.

Now the closest focusing distance using the middle 20mm tube.

The 20mm tube can stay on the lens if you want a further view. Here I was 15" from the flower. The lens was still at 200mm.

Here's the flower using the longest 36mm tube. The front of the lens was nearly touching the flower. With this lens I could not stack tubes without touching the flower.

This was a hastily set up shoot. I did not use a tripod and I had to manually focus the lens. I kept VR on. The lens was set to f8 for all photos. This flower requires a large dof to keep everything in focus. I would normally use a tripod and the lens stopped down to f11 and maybe f16. In this case the flower was not in a position that a tripod would fit.

So here I used the 20mm tube and set the lens to f16. I had to bring up the ISO to 3200. I also increased the contrast and added some sharpness. Handheld, manual focus, VR on.

Len

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Fri 17-May-13 05:42 PM
#14. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 13

CA

Thanks Len, certainly an interesting set of shots. Food for thought. One day I hope to get an 85mm or a 135 mm lens and see how that works.

Cheers
Ron

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 17-May-13 03:27 AM
#10. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 8

Hatboro, Pa, US

I know where you're coming from, Ron. I spent a year on St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea. There were no trees there either. And now that I think about it there were no flowers either.

Len

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Thu 16-May-13 07:55 PM
#7. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 5

Toluca Lake, US

Thanks Ron. The D5100 is great. I did a lot of research when I decided to buy a D-SLR (about two months ago now) and it kept rising to the top of the list.

Mary

abhi39 Registered since 19th Aug 2013Mon 19-Aug-13 04:01 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Mary,

I was reading your post on using extension tubes for Nikon D5100.

I own the same camera and bought it couple of months back. I just got Vello extension tubes from B&H. They recommended to get this one.

I tried using the extension tubes. However, the camera says 'Lens Not Attached' when I am using extension tube. Have you (or other forum members) faced this problem before? Can you provide some insight in to this?

Thanks,
Abhinav

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Mon 19-Aug-13 04:55 AM
#16. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 15

Toluca Lake, US

I have used the Vello tubes without problem. Be sure you are attaching them correctly: there is an illustration in the instructions and at the Vello web site. The contacts in the tube have to meet the contact in the lens. And of course you will also be using the lens...did you perhaps put on the tubes and not the lens?

Mary

abhi39 Registered since 19th Aug 2013Mon 19-Aug-13 05:14 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your response!

Yeah I am using the lens. The F number doesnt appear.

Do you know where can I get the instructions video you mentioned. I am looking at the Vello site but not getting the video.

This is the product I bought: http://www.vellogear.com/detail?sku=787224

Regards,
Abhinav

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Mon 19-Aug-13 06:04 AM
#18. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 17

Toluca Lake, US

That's what I bought, also from B&H. There is a small paper pamphlet inside the box with the diagrams. Don't hesitate to phoned B&H for assistance. It will probably turn out to be minor.

Mary

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Mon 19-Aug-13 06:05 AM
#19. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 17

Toluca Lake, US

Sorry for any confusion. There is no video. Just the diagram and instructions in the box.

Mary

abhi39 Registered since 19th Aug 2013Mon 19-Aug-13 06:25 PM
#20. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 19

US

Yeah I saw that! Will try to do this today again. Hope it work.

Thanks Mary!

Abhinav

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Mon 19-Aug-13 06:56 PM
#21. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 20

Toluca Lake, US

I found it very difficult the first few times esp as I was being so careful not to do damage. They were difficult to separate and attach: a tight fit. It gets easier.

Mary

abhi39 Registered since 19th Aug 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 10:24 PM
#22. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Hi Mary,

I tried the Extension tubes and though I am able to get the pictures the auto functions dont work. So I am not able to change the aperture or the auto focus doesnt work. I am only able to take pictures in the complete Manual mode in the camera. Is this the way it should work?

The product description on the website says "These tubes are fully automatic tubes in that they are able to communicate all electronic functions from lens to camera including autofocus and auto exposure. They are compatible with all AF and AF-S lenses. Electronic aperture control is not possible with Nikon AI lenses"

I am using Nikon 18-55 lens for this and i was assuming that the auto functions will work.

Let me know if you can provide some insights to this!

Regards,
Abhinav

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 10:52 PM
#23. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 22
Wed 28-Aug-13 10:55 PM by MaryMR

Toluca Lake, US

Hi there! I do remember there being an issue with focus the first time I used them. It was because I automatically got real close to the flower. It was because I was TOO close (I was using the kit lens).

Remember that the tubes compensate for distance. Go to a flower, then focus, if you cannot keep taking steps back until you can. You will reach a point where they focus beautifully. I think I read this either in the extension tubes pamphlet or on some other site that addressed the use of extension tubes (maybe even on the extension tube manufacturer web site). Please let me know how it goes.

Remember that even with the kit lens the closest you can get to a flower and focus is about 11 inches or so. So just move your body until it focuses.

Mary

abhi39 Registered since 19th Aug 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 11:27 PM
#25. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Hi Mary,

Thanks for response! That means the auto focus and aperture settings will work with the tubes?

I am using the following product: http://www.vellogear.com/detail?sku=787224

Regards,
Abhinav

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 01:17 AM
#26. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 25

Toluca Lake, US

Yes, the tubs do work. Just as with the kit lens there is a certain minimum distance for focus; too close and it's out of focus and you can't modify it at that outer limit. If you use the tube and get real close to the subject it would be like looking through binoculars with magnifying glasses on - a blur. Give it a try and let us know.

Mary

abhi39 Registered since 19th Aug 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 03:17 AM
#27. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 26

US

Hi Mary,

Thanks you so much! Its working!

Earlier I was mounting the tube on the camera and then the lens on the tube. I guess this sequence was the problem.

I changed the approach. I first attached the lens to the tube. And then I mounted this lens + tube on the camera body. And it worked.

Thanks a lot for your response! I had almost decided that I will return these tubes.

Regards,
Abhinav

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 03:20 AM
#28. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 27

Toluca Lake, US

I just remembered that's what I ended up doing. Attaching the tube to the lens then both to the camera body.

Mary

abhi39 Registered since 19th Aug 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 03:21 AM
#29. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 28

US

Yeah! And that how it works!

Regards,
Abhinav

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 03:23 AM
#30. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 29

Toluca Lake, US

Your patience and determination paid off. Congratulations!

Mary

abhi39 Registered since 19th Aug 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 03:25 AM
#31. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 30

US

Thanks Mary! Thanks for all the responses to my questions!

Regards,
Abhinav

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 03:28 AM
#32. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 31

Toluca Lake, US

You are welcome. I'm still learning also and have experienced some of the same frustrations. Some day you'll be answering my question.

Mary

abhi39 Registered since 19th Aug 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 03:31 AM
#33. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 32

US

Now I need to learn to use these. And Will be glad to do answer if you have any questions!

Regards,
Abhinav

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 10:53 PM
#24. "RE: Extension Tubes for Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

Toluca Lake, US

That's beautiful. I also get great photos now that I've learned how to use them.

Mary

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8129 Previous topic | Next topic