nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8084
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hi I'm a newbie!" Previous topic | Next topic
ChristineL Registered since 29th Apr 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 03:33 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hi I'm a newbie!"

UK

Hi, I have just bought a d5200 -it arrived today and I have set it up using the manual but can't seem to get the monitor to act as a viewfinder. I know it's early days (!) but any help would be gratefully received. The monitor will playback the photos I have taken but just not act as a viewfinder - it displays settings etc. ok.

Thank you in advance, Christine

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hi I'm a newbie!
ChristineL
29th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
29th Apr 2013
ChristineL
29th Apr 2013
thecad Gold Member
29th Apr 2013
ChristineL
29th Apr 2013

ChristineL Registered since 29th Apr 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 05:17 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hi I'm a newbie!"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

Well, I knew it was a silly question and I now have the answer!

I love the weight of the body of this camera and I bought the red one so it looks very snazzy. I can't wait to go out and use it a lot.

Best wishes to all the other Nikon users out there,

Christine

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 29-Apr-13 05:36 PM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hi I'm a newbie!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Christine,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5200.
You must put the camera in Live View by rotating the Live View switch on the top of the camera below the exposure mode dial.

I would not recommend using Live View to capture images like using a point & shoot camera. Live View is useful for shooting macro subjects, or when manually focusing with the camera on a tripod or when shooting video.
For general photography using the viewfinder and proper handholding technique will provide significantly more stability than holding the camera out in front of you like a P&S. The more stable the camera, the sharper the image will be.
Once you get used to using the viewfinder it will be second nature.

Best Regards,
Marty

ChristineL Registered since 29th Apr 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 07:48 PM
#4. "RE: Hi I'm a newbie!"
In response to Reply # 2

UK

Thanks Marty,

I do like using a viewfinder - reminds me of my film SLR's.

I am very leased with the 5200 so far - I know it's early days but I think I made the right choice. I also bought the 55-300mm zoom lens as I like photographing wildlife.

Looking forward to readying more on this board,

Thanks again,

Christine

thecad Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 06:38 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hi I'm a newbie!"
In response to Reply # 0

Grovetown, US

Welcome Christine. I second Marty on using the viewfinder. I notice my photos come out better with the viewfinder versus the live view. I'm still learning how to do better photography myself and moving to the viewfinder has made a difference. Also, I love the D5200 so far.

James Cadwell

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter. -- Harold Feinstein

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ChristineL Registered since 29th Apr 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 07:50 PM
#5. "RE: Hi I'm a newbie!"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

Hi James

Thanks for the welcome.

I am pleased with the camera so far though it's early days.

Looking forward to getting out and using it more fully!

Christine

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8084 Previous topic | Next topic