Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #798
View in linear mode

Subject: "nid help!!nikon 10-24mm or tokina 11-16 or tokina 12-24..." Previous topic | Next topic
ionphoenix Registered since 10th Aug 2009Thu 22-Oct-09 08:13 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"nid help!!nikon 10-24mm or tokina 11-16 or tokina 12-24?"

US

I cant decide which one to buy..after reading the reviews of these three lenses..now i need your opinion my fellow member.I own a D5000 and thinking of getting D700 in the future..still saving though.lol..but soon.

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~Author Unknown

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 22-Oct-09 06:07 PM
26663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: nid help!!nikon 10-24mm or tokina 11-16 or tokina 12-24?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

If you're interested in a lens that works now on your DX body and also covers the entire FX frame of a future D700, none of the above are what you're after. They all cover only the limited DX image circle.

The two lenses that you should be considering for both DX and FX use are the Nikon 14-24/f2.8 AFS ($1900) and the Sigma 12-24/f4-5.6 EX HSM ($800). The Nikkor is simply stunning in performance, but (a) it's not all that wide on DX and (b) geez, it's $1900. The Sigma is wide enough even on DX, and it's less than half the price, and even it is competent at a fully professional level. Both are large, bulky lenses that do not tolerate threaded filters. The difference between 12mm and 14mm (and even more so to 10mm) is considerable. 12mm on FX is just ridiculously wide, by the way.

Frankly, though, I'd advise getting a DX lens for now and worrying about the FX thing later. Especially if you were to buy a used DX lens now, you can't possibly be out much money, and you'll have something that really is better suited to your needs now. The Tokina 12-24 DX now comes with an internal focus motor to suit your D5000, so that's the one I'd recommend, since it's about half the price of the Nikon 10-24. Even the new 12-24's cost only about $500, so even if you sell it for $300 in a couple of years, it's not costing you much - and that's even if you really do pull the trigger on that FX upgrade.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ionphoenix Registered since 10th Aug 2009Thu 22-Oct-09 11:54 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: nid help!!nikon 10-24mm or tokina 11-16 or tokina 12-24?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

oh thanks..i overlooked the fx compatibility with the lenses..probably i'll get 12-24mm since it has more range and autofocus with d5k.

thanks alot

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~Author Unknown

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #798 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.