Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7964
View in linear mode

Subject: "Road trip" Previous topic | Next topic
RobArtPhoto Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2009Fri 12-Apr-13 01:22 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Road trip"

New York, US

My road trip is going to start Rapid City South Dakota and end up in Salt Lake City Utah.
I am not a travler and from what I see this site has a lot of travelers. I'm looking for suggestions on what to bring I'm thinking one camera two lenses and lots and lots of memory cards. I am 70 years old so I'm thinking About carrying as little as I can. Any suggestions that you Travelers have On what I should bring will be very appreciated. I am looking foward to shooting sunsets I've never done that and I plan on coming back with plenty.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 12-Apr-13 03:47 AM
4142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Road trip"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Your profile does not list your lenses, so I will do a little guessing as to what you have....

For landscapes and sunsets, a tripod is obvious. Since you are traveling by car, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. A remote release is nice, too.

Since you are looking to travel light/small, I would go with your kit 18-xx lens and something like the 70-300mm VR (or 55-xxx). Landscapes are normally shot at small apertures, and these lenses do well there.

Call your insurance agent and make sure your gear is covered on your home/renter policy.

A post into the landscape forum might give some ideas on where to stop.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

RobArtPhoto Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2009Sat 13-Apr-13 02:35 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Road trip"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

I'm taking a 18-55 and a75-300 VR . It's not a drive its a bus tour.4states 8days.thanks for the the landscape forum tip Ill do that right now.

chesterdawg Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2010Sat 13-Apr-13 12:32 AM
202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Road trip"
In response to Reply # 0

Commerce, US

Ihave many lenses including f2.8 glass and all I take with me traveling is the Nikon 16-85mm & Nikon 70-300.

Steve

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 13-Apr-13 03:26 PM
25645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Road trip"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

A Circular Polarizer and a ND filter or two could be useful, though I the CPL would be difficult to use on your 18-55mm since the front element rotates when focusing.
On the 70-300mm it won't be a problem.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7964 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.