Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #795
View in linear mode

Subject: "Considering the D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
edac Registered since 18th Jan 2007Wed 21-Oct-09 08:23 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Considering the D5000"

US

As a long time D70 & D80 owner I have been contemplating getting the D5000 for sometime now. I understand the problem(s) that caused the camera to be recalled have now been addressed and remedied.
My question is are ther any past D80 or D70 owners that have purchased the D5000? And if so, is it something that you are happy with?
A bit about my shooting styles, I mostly do family portraits, not professionally, kids soccer games, landscape, and some HDR and night time photography. I don't want to lose any of the features that the D80 currently gives me, but love the idea of live view and the video for short clips. I usually use shutter priority 90% of the time, and the fact that I will lose some control with out the second dial is not a big issue for me.

I'll check the in depth specs later, but for now Im just looking for some input on how those who currently use the camera. How it compares to other DSLRs you've used, and are yo happy with the purchase?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mark

It's Good to be Gold!
Proudly Supporting Nikonians

http://www.klr-650.blogspot.com
---------------------------------
Not all those who wander are lost.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Considering the D5000
edac
22nd Oct 2009
CBill Silver Member
25th Oct 2009
Floridian Silver Member
25th Oct 2009
edac
16th Nov 2009
poc Silver Member
17th Nov 2009
edac
17th Nov 2009
KnightPhoto Gold Member
17th Nov 2009
PhotoRaoul
10th Dec 2009

edac Registered since 18th Jan 2007Thu 22-Oct-09 07:42 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Considering the D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The silence is deafening, I guess that answers my question.

Thanks,
Mark

It's Good to be Gold!

CBill Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 25-Oct-09 06:43 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Considering the D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Cedar Lake, US

I am a D70s, D80 and D90 owner. I gave my wife a D5000 for her birthday in July, and we are VERY happy with it. She likes the lighter weight it is able to offer, and we think it compares favorably with the D90, and better than the 70 & 80.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sun 25-Oct-09 08:47 PM
2710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Considering the D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

One thing to consider is that your lenses without focus motors won't autofocus on the D5000. Your profile indicates that you own a few of these.

Randy

edac Registered since 18th Jan 2007Mon 16-Nov-09 09:53 AM
#4. "RE: Considering the D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>One thing to consider is that your lenses without focus
>motors won't autofocus on the D5000. Your profile indicates
>that you own a few of these.
>
>Randy

I do and I still have an AF Nikon Film camera which is the main reason I keep them. I also just found out today that the D70 that my father-in-law had is still sitting in his dresser. He passed away a couple of years ago, and my wife does'nt want it, so I will still have a DSLR that can use all my lenses if I decide on the D5000
The two things that are really pulling me in the direction of the D5000 are the video capture, and the articulating back LCD.

I purchsed a Casio P&S to have a pocket camera and to shoot video, I was amazed how well the video turns out, it is really a great feature to have without having to cart around two different cameras. I took the Casio on vaction with us this past summer and was able to capture about 45 minutes of video, just enough to show family, but not too much to bore them to death. Someone told me a longtime ago never shot more than 2-3 minutes of video at a time, otherwise you will end up with hours of video and no one wants to sit and watch hours of your kids and family on vacation. So now I limit my video and photo slide (DVD) shows to no longer than 6-7 minutes. It seems to keep everyones attention and it is not too long to become boring.

Thanks,
Mark

It's Good to be Gold!

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Tue 17-Nov-09 12:08 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Considering the D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

Glenview, US

If video is your main goal, I believe the D90 would be a more logical progression from the D80. Same size and general ergonomics with more functions and options to play with. You can use it almost as a point and shoot but with the option of controlling everything manually if you would like. And of course, you have the video in the D90 which is not great, but certainly functional and nice to play with.

I briefly had a D5000 which I returned because of conflicts with different lenses. My impressions in the short time I had it was that I was missing the versatility of the D80 and D90. The swivel screen is ok but not a big deal.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

edac Registered since 18th Jan 2007Tue 17-Nov-09 05:49 AM
#6. "RE: Considering the D5000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

POC,

You are absolutley right, I was just going through my lens wish list and realized that I would not be able to use my best camera with my best lenses. That seems kind of counter productive to me. I have been checking O/L prices and it looks as though the D90 is slowly becoming one of the best DSLR values out there. The same reason I bought my D80, the prices were insanely low and a fantastic value. I paid almot half for the brand new D80 than I did for my D70 kit. Remember those days, the D70 with the 18-70 lens was around $1500, when you could find it in stock, I loved that camera. I was able to sell it w/the lens and the D70 books I aquired for $600, and got the D80 for $725.

Unfortunately the D80 won't bring in that kind of return, but it will still help off set the cost of the D90.

Thanks for all the input everyone, looks like the D90 is the future camera for me.

Thanks,
Mark

It's Good to be Gold!

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 17-Nov-09 12:25 PM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Considering the D5000"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

I do find the buying strategy of selling the old camera, buying a new one effective. So I think you are following a good approach. You may not always get top dollar, but it takes the edge off, and allows one to upgrade sooner than might otherwise.

You will be very happy with that CMOS sensor (that is shared by D5000, D90, D300S)!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

PhotoRaoul Registered since 10th Dec 2009Thu 10-Dec-09 08:07 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Considering the D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

I use the D5000 with AF-S lenses but when shooting with MOVIE mode, I use regular AF lenses since everything is manual focus anyway.
The D5000 can only AutoFocus on new AF-S lenses.
I got rid of all my DX lenses and retained only the FX ones to get ready to upgrade to full frame sometime in the future.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #795 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.