Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7923
View in linear mode

Subject: "Trashed Computer card in Nikon D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
Desertattitude Registered since 28th Feb 2013Thu 28-Mar-13 06:34 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Trashed Computer card in Nikon D3100"

US

Went through customs in Puerto Rico - could that be the cause?

Was having no problems with it, but after customs the camera started making weird whirring noises when I depressed the button to take photos.

The camera is working intermediately - but getting lots of scratchy purple images for photos - as opposed to what I see through the view finder.

Totally bummed. Had it just over a year, and the camera shop said it isn't worth fixing.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 28-Mar-13 09:57 PM
25707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Trashed Computer card in Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dawn,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.

Is the battery fully charged?
Is your memory card corrupted?
Did you format the card in the camera before using it?
If so, is it on the approved list in the back of the D3100 Users Manual?
Have you tried using a different card?

The AF system and VR both make a little noise if you listen carefully.
This is normal.

Have you tried resetting the camera?

Best Regards,
Marty

Desertattitude Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sun 31-Mar-13 01:36 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Trashed Computer card in Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you so much for the welcome and the answers.

The battery was fully charged. I even tried a new battery.

I don't know if my memory card corrupted. It was formatted in the camera before I used it, and it is approved. I haven't yet tried using another one.

The noise is new and prolonged. Instead of the camera 'click' of the shutter snapping - it sounds more like it is slowing dragging.

I haven't tried resetting the camera, but will try to decipher how to do that!

Thanks again.
Dawn

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 04-Apr-13 04:28 AM
25707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Trashed Computer card in Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Dawn,

>The noise is new and prolonged. Instead of the camera 'click'
>of the shutter snapping - it sounds more like it is slowing
>dragging.

Try using a good AF target in daylight.

>I haven't tried resetting the camera, but will try to decipher
>how to do that!

You can reset the Shooting Options in the Shooting Menu (camera icon) and the Set-Up options in the Set-Up Menu (Wrench icon).

If that doesn't solve the problem, take the battery out of the camera, then turn the camera On. Leave the battery out of the camera for a few hours. Turn the camera Off before reinstalling the battery.
If that doesn't solve the problem, the camera requires repair at Nikon Service or a Nikon Authorized Service Station.

Best Regards,
Marty

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 29-Mar-13 12:10 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Trashed Computer card in Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

>Went through customs in Puerto Rico - could that be the
>cause?

Customs itself doesn't do anything that normal airline carry-on baggage doesn't go through. A standard domestic airline trip is far more traumatizing than any customs stop. It may have been abused if you checked your camera in your luggage, but, otherwise, it's pretty unlikely. Unfortunately, sometimes things just break.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.