Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7909
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spot Metering Question on a D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
Sasquatch519 Registered since 26th Mar 2013Tue 26-Mar-13 03:01 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spot Metering Question on a D5100"

US

I'm new to photography and have just completed some lessons. In my latest lesson, I learned about spot metering and when to use it. My question is:

Does the D5100 allow you to move the metering spot around like you can move the focus point? Is the metering spot always the same as the focus spot or is it always the middle dot? Can the metering spot be moved to one part of the image and the focus spot moved to a different part of the image? The manual is very light on metering.

I'm assuming that if you can't move the metering spot and you wanted to meter on one spot and focus on another spot, you would achieve that by metering the one spot and applying the AE-L, then moving the focus spot with the arrow buttons and finally snapping the picture.

I've Googled all over the place for this info and I only seem to be able to find people explaining the difference between matrix and spot metering. I'm looking for some detailed instructions on how to move the metering spot around on a D5100.

Thanks in advance!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 26-Mar-13 03:35 PM
25743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Spot Metering Question on a D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>Does the D5100 allow you to move the metering spot around like
>you can move the focus point?

Yes! In Spot metering mode, the metered area is at the active AF point.

>Is the metering spot always the
>same as the focus spot or is it always the middle dot?

It is always at the active AF point.
Center weighted metering is limited to the center area of the viewfinder.

>Can the metering spot be moved to one part of the image and the
>focus spot moved to a different part of the image?

No!

>I'm assuming that if you can't move the metering spot and you
>wanted to meter on one spot and focus on another spot, you
>would achieve that by metering the one spot and applying the
>AE-L, then moving the focus spot with the arrow buttons and
>finally snapping the picture.

Yes! You have got it!

>I've Googled all over the place for this info and I only seem
>to be able to find people explaining the difference between
>matrix and spot metering. I'm looking for some detailed
>instructions on how to move the metering spot around on a
>D5100.

Use Single Point AF then use the Multi-selector button on the back of the camera to position the Active AF point (spot meter) on your subject.

Best Regards,
Marty

Sasquatch519 Registered since 26th Mar 2013Tue 26-Mar-13 04:27 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spot Metering Question on a D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks!

Nikon D5100
AF-S 18-300mm 3.5-5.6
AF-S 10-24mm 3.5-4.5
AF-S 50mm 1.8
SB-700

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 27-Mar-13 12:30 AM
25743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Spot Metering Question on a D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi John,

Your welcome.
Glad to help.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7909 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.