Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7900
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 and GPS" Previous topic | Next topic
hbcobra Registered since 25th Mar 2013Mon 25-Mar-13 06:47 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 and GPS"

US

Hello everyone; longtime reader, first-time poster.

I am looking for a GPS/geotag solution for my D3100. The last I saw on the topic was a series of posts back in 2011, and I am wondering if the market for GPS units has changed. What is a good, cost-efficient solution for my needs? I'm gearing up for a big trip and would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mareng Registered since 14th Jan 2013Tue 26-Mar-13 12:19 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 and GPS"
In response to Reply # 0

Thatcham. GB, GB

I think they offered the GPS to cameras only because they could.
Was not the world discovered before GPS, you obviously know where you are when you are there otherwise you would be lost. A Latitude and Longitude isn't really going to help you if you don't know what they mean.
Use Storage Folder and Image Comment in the Set Up Menu to classify your places, shots and a notebook if required. You can also take a photo of a name or sign to denote your location.
A GPS is just another thing to run you battery down, get caught and damaged.
Don't waste your money on one but buy something useful like another lens or tripod.

Mareng

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7900 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.