Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7894
View in linear mode

Subject: "Intermittent black on image D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
jjmirenzi Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2012Sun 24-Mar-13 04:29 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Intermittent black on image D3100"
Sun 24-Mar-13 04:30 PM by jjmirenzi

Dupont, US

After registering a perfectly good image the next one is black. SHutter sounds like it is working. What could be the range of possible problems.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Intermittent black on image D3100I
SheriB Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Intermittent black on image D3100I
MEMcD Moderator
26th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Intermittent black on image D3100
MEMcD Moderator
24th Mar 2013
golfercat Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
jjmirenzi Gold Member
25th Mar 2013
MEMcD Moderator
26th Mar 2013

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sun 24-Mar-13 05:02 PM
1627 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Intermittent black on image D3100I"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Is this consistant..good image,black image..good image,black image? If so does the 3100 allow bracketing and do you have it set, possibly with an extreme negative exposure compensation?

Sheri Becker

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 26-Mar-13 02:30 AM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Intermittent black on image D3100I"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Sheri,

The D3100 doesn't support bracketing.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 24-Mar-13 06:00 PM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Intermittent black on image D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Joe,

Are you using flash or shooting ambient light?

Best Regards,
Marty

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Sun 24-Mar-13 06:13 PM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Intermittent black on image D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

A sample of good and black images with the EXIF data might be helpful to see what is happening

jjmirenzi Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2012Mon 25-Mar-13 02:17 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Intermittent black on image D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Dupont, US

shooting indoor sports. First image perfect, next black. this is intermittent and not consistent.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 26-Mar-13 02:39 AM
#6. "RE: Intermittent black on image D3100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Joe,

Check the Exif data of the dark image and compare the settings (Shutter Speed, Aperture (f/#), and ISO) to the settings of the image both before and after the dark image. If the difference in the settings is large, I would suspect a problem with the meter.
If the settings are similar I would suspect an issue with the shutter.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7894 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.