Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7865
View in linear mode

Subject: "New to DSLR and to D5200. Short time frame - advice re..." Previous topic | Next topic
Randomizer Registered since 14th Mar 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 04:53 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New to DSLR and to D5200. Short time frame - advice request"

US

Hi all,

I am new to the DSLR world and quite some time removed from the SLR world. Also new to Nikon. I have a D5200 en route to my home now and expected to be delivered late this afternoon. It will include the 18-105mm lens and the 70-300mm lens. Shortly after it arrives (maybe an hour or two later) I will be attending an event for one of my kids. Likely I will be mid to back of an cafeteria converted to auditorium at an elementary school with my child on a lit but probably not well lit stage. Audience will be dark to semi dark and I will be in it. Pictures I have taken in the past with my Canon point and shoot have not come out well. Can anyone provide some quick recommendations on getting good shots with what I have?

Thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New to DSLR and to D5200. Short time frame - advic...
aolander Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
Randomizer
14th Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
Randomizer
14th Mar 2013
aolander Silver Member
14th Mar 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 14-Mar-13 05:33 PM
3242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New to DSLR and to D5200. Short time frame - advice request"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The lenses you will be getting do not have very wide maximum apertures especially at the longer focal lengths. All you can do is use the lenses at maximum aperture and up the ISO to get shutter speeds that will stop motion. You will get more noise at high ISO's but the D5200 may be quite good in this case. If you use Aperture Priority mode the camera will set the shutter speed but watch to see if the shutter speed will be fast enough. Auto ISO could be helpful, too.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Randomizer Registered since 14th Mar 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 05:38 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New to DSLR and to D5200. Short time frame - advice request"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you. Will one lens be better than the other? While I have a tripod it is a somewhat short one and I believe it will be crowded so I don't think I will be able to use it.
Side note - I have the 50mm f/1.8G portrait lens coming as well. It was backordered so I won't have it today. Would it have been a good lens for this situation?

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 05:56 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New to DSLR and to D5200. Short time frame - advice request"
In response to Reply # 2

Norwalk, US

The 50 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.8 would both do OK in this situation. You should use the lens according to focal length, as they're both pretty slow lenses, but you should be able to get at least OK shots. Shoot in Aperture priority with the lens wide open, and adjust the ISO to keep the shutter speed around 1/125-1/250 and you should do OK.

Randomizer Registered since 14th Mar 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 07:53 PM
#4. "RE: New to DSLR and to D5200. Short time frame - advice request"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks. Not that it would help tonight, but what would be a good lens for the D5200 for this situation?

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 14-Mar-13 08:29 PM
3242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New to DSLR and to D5200. Short time frame - advice request"
In response to Reply # 4

Nevis, US

The focal length you use would depend upon how far away you are from the stage. If you are not too far away, the 50mm f/1.8 would be good. An f/2.8 zoom would work, too, but here again the focal length depends. A 24-70mm f/2.8 if you're close, a 70-200mm f/2.8 if you will be further away. Either will cost you some bucks, though!

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7865 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.